Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default 3 month Road trip New York to LA great success!

Hi
    I wrote in three months ago for info on our trip received great ideas. We, two australian seniors husband and wife, bought an old car, no problems at all with registering, etc although lots of people said it could not be done. The car, a classic, is being shipped home as we speak.
    We flew to LA, then to eastern states. flew to NY had 10 fab days there. Caught a bus to Washington, collected car, began trip on the Blue Ridge Parkway, all through the antebellum states, Savannah, St Augustine, Kennedy Space Centre across Florida to New Orleans, then travelled north on Natchez Trace Parkway, called into Memphis, Nashville, St Louis, spent a few days in Chicago, drove across Iowa to South Dakota, Badlands, Black Hills, across to Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, back across to near Denver, Rocky Mountains National Park, all the way through Colorado, into Utah, North to Moab, Arches, and Canyonlands, south again to Monument Valley, Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion, Las vegas and LA, home!
    Apart from a few nervous moments when GPS took us into areas we would rather not have been, and minor car maintenance issues,we had no problems, despite being in a 50 year old car. We saw the most amazing, fantastic scenery and were welcomed every where we went. Wherever possible we travelled on minor roads, and I mean very minor, we saw some interesting sights that way and met lots of lovely people.
    I cannot recommend driving across America more highly. Highlights were definitely Monument Valley, Yellowstone and Zion, with Zion the standout.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 11-27-2011 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Moved thread and added link to original thread.

Default Just what we want to hear

Hi Susanna,

What great news that you trip was such a success. And I would have to agree with you, driving across the continent is a great experience - one I can't wait to repeat.

But what we would really like from you, is some more details on the registration and insurance of your vehicle. Could you please give a detailed report here of who you used, company? agents? brokers? where was it registered? at which address? in whose name? etc. etc. etc.

Many have tried it and failed. It would be good if we could pass on some true and tried information for others. The more detail you can give, the better.

Looking forward to learning.

Lifey

NOBODY as of yet has provided us with the details on exactly how they were able to buy, register, and insure a car. Please help us out.

Thanks for dropping by with the update. Really pleased to hear that you had a great time ! Also pleased to see that you got off of Interstate and didn't let the scenery pass you by. [I've hardly seen an interstate ! ;-)]

It would be great to hear about your experience with purchasing a car as previously mentioned, but I have a feeling that your scenario is slightly different to the 'normal' as you bought it with the intention to ship it home rather than register it to an adress in the US. [?] Any info and tips though are most welcome.

It is great that you were able to get the car purchased and all of the paperwork taken care of, but if you'll look back at your original thread, you'll find that people didn't simply say that it couldn't be done, they raised many questions that others in the past haven't been able to overcome, and then asking you how you planned to overcome them.

So, since you were able to do this, it would be a great help to future travelers if you could answer some of those questions you'd been asked in the past, and explain to us how you were able to get around the numerous paperwork hurdles that come with purchasing a car as a non-resident. As has been said a few times here, you would be the first to provide answer to this question, and we would love to tell future visitors a way to do it successfully.

Default OK a few hints!

We bought the car on ebay!! My husband is very mechanical so he thought he could sort out any problems which he did, with some difficulty at times, we registered it to an friend's address in US, wandered into a classic car insurer, recommended by a guy who sold the car, insured the car , bought AAA cover for while we were there, and off we went.

The only problems we had were that the jobs which should have been done before we arrived( which we had organised and paid for ) were not done, eg seatbelts, new tyres, temp gauge, some sort of automatic ignition (sorry cannot remember what that was) and when they were done , it was in a shoddy fashion so we had to spend a few days sorting that out as we went along.

Everything was bona fide, we did not do any dodgy deals, we used people who had offices on main street, who were in the phone book, etc. We were completely upfront with what we were doing and it all proceeded smoothly.

We did not use Haggerty's insurance but were told that that is the place to go.

I mentioned in the forum that I was concerned that the car would be stolen,and it was suggested that we were more likely to have people come up to look at the car.That is exactly what happened, we had literally hundreds of people approach us to talk about the car, people constantly bipped their horns, yelled approval out their windows, or gave us huge thumbs up, everywhere we went. And (strangely to me,) they almost ALL knew what year it was!
    It was my husbands dream to drive across the US in an old American car. He bought a number plate at Cape Canaveral which was the Apollo 13 mantra " Failure is not an option" and put it on the front of the car and we never looked back.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 11-28-2011 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Added white space for reading clarity

Sorry should have mentioned that we used our real names,and registered it in our real names, our real credit cards etc everything was above board and not one person queried us. We always said we were taking it home - perhaps that is the difference.

Default Sounds so simple !

I'm no expert, [far from it] but from what I have read previously on this subject is that the 'Loop hole' would be to register the vehicle in a friends name and address in the US. The big downside to this is that 'the friend' would have to shoulder the responsibility. In the US, I believe the owner could be held accountable for any Lawsuits that might follow on from an accident and not just the driver. It seems that you have negated this issue by using their address, but have still been able to register it in your name, without any problem. Did the issue about you being a 'Non resident' come up and was it deemed OK, or simply having a name and address meant that your residency status did not get mentioned at all while doing the registration etc.

Sorry for the questions, [hope you don't mind] it is purely for future reference, as many have asked before and no one has come back with the answers. It is much appreciated.

More Importantly, [to me anyway] I would love to know what classic 'Yank tank' you purchased and if you get the chance, I would love to see a couple of pictures posted !! I bet it will be turning heads when it arrives back in OZ too !

Default Thank You

Susanna,

Thank you for that information. I do feel, that insurance wise, the fact that you went to a Classic Cars Insurer and were shipping the car out of the country would have a whole lot to do with it. None-the-less, I plan to check out Haggerty's. They are not yet on my list.

So you registered it in your own name at a friend's address. And that is the point at which so many travellers come unstuck... they do not have a friend in the US. Your registration was totally dependent on having a friend whose address you could use, and who lived in a State where you did not need to proof residency at that address. Or did you?

Would you mind sharing with us in which State this friend lives, and the car was registered.

Just like Dave, I too would like to see a picture. But I am even more keen to see the car on the road. In which city will it be garaged??

Lifey

Default more details

We used our friend's address and our name - this was not even commented on. Maybe we got off lightly because the issue with lawsuit and friend being liable did not raise its ugly head. We asked our friend if we could use their address but we did not approach him to cover for us at all. We did not try to hide anything - did not feel that there was anything to hide. We paid all taxes etc in our own name and had to pay some stamp duty because we were bringing it home.
    My hairdresser( true!) also did a similar trip and the car yard which sold them the car, in New York state, just used the address of the car yard and they had no problems either. That may sound very simplistic but it happened.
    Our car is a 1964 Ford Galaxie convertible, apparently quite rare because it is a manual, not automatic
    Attached Images Attached Images