1. Default New York to Vegas advice please

Hi i am a long time lurker but this is my first post.

me & a friend are doing a NY to Vegas road trip next year April / May time. we plan 21 days in total, my question is is this realistically enough time to drive that with lots of detours & stops at various places? I know on paper its very easily done BUT in the real world things are often different

a very rough route we will take is

NY
    Pennsylvania
    West Virginia
    Kentucky
    Tennessee
    Arkansas
    Texas
    New mexico
    Arizona
    Nevada

I am still in the very early stages of planning at the moment but as i say before i start putting months of work into exactly what towns etc we want to visit, id like to know if 21 days is unrealistic.

thanks in advance for any help / advice

& great website you have here, its been so useful to me

John

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The short answer is yes, you could certainly do this in 21 days.

Is this a one way or a round trip? Either way you could certainly make it work. Just driving alone, without any major stops, its about 5 days to get from NY to Vegas, so even if you did a round trip, you'd still have quite a bit of time to stop and explore. If you are only going one way, then you've got a ton of time to make a lot of detours.

3. Default

Thanks Michael, yeah its one way, we were going to do a loop but decided itd be fun to end in vegas & blow the rest of our cash there before flying back to England from there instead of new york. I'm glad we will have so much time as id like to spend a full day or maybe 2 in ny & the same in vegas. the grand canyon is a must for us as is the mall in Monroeville Pennsylvania (where the original dawn of the dead was filmed & we are HUGE fans).

other than this we have no "must see's" which leave us open to find stuff en route which makes it even more exciting as who knows what treasures we will come across.

i am trying to find car rentals who dont charge more to pick up & drop off in different places, im assured they exist but not having much luck so far & all the ones im trynig online seem to double the price for doing this.

Default be assured

A drop fee for a one way car rental is standard in the business. There are a couple place that don't specifically say they have a fee for the one way rental, but they then just roll that fee right into the daily rate. You really just have to look around for the best deal you can find, but make sure everything, including taxes and fees, is included in your quote.

You can check the reservation tab above for comparisons of many companies that you can book right through RTA. You might also look at consolidators that are based in the UK and Europe as sometimes they can offer better deals than what is available even by booking directly through the rental companies.

Default The treasures along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by johnpaul View Post
    ... the grand canyon is a must for us as is the mall in Monroeville Pennsylvania (where the original dawn of the dead was filmed & we are HUGE fans).

Other than this we have no "must sees" which leave us open to find stuff en route which makes it even more exciting as who knows what treasures we will come across.
    Though much of this trip will no doubt focus on the great national parks of the west - and rightly so - there are many treasures to be found along the way, especially in PA.

Some of my favourites are the magnificent railway bridges and viaducts, as well as the historic covered bridges. There is the Kinzua Bridge; Viaduct Valley; and the historic covered bridges of Bedford County. And then there is Route 6, not so much a route, as a destination in itself.

And that's only a start. There is so much more. You won't be able to see it all.

Lifey

6. Default

Ah ok thats helpful, i'll stop looking for places with no fee & start just looking for the best deal including the 1 way fee. I will also give the international hire companys over here a go & see if they can offer better deals for there. (this is why i love the forum, you get good helpful advice & not just people saying things that the have no real idea about)

Magician i'm looking foward to the stuff i research but i'm looking foward just as much to exactly what you say, drving along & coming across an awesome viaduct or a little diner in the middle of nowhere that looks the same as it did in the 60's that serves the most amazing food or many other things we just happen upon. Thats the point for me a road trip isnt just about your planned stops at the end of each day its the things you didnt know existed until you drove past them & had to stop to look, i guess deep down i'm a little adventurer