Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2 British lads planning SW road trip and need YOUR help!!!!!

Good Evening Roadtrip America!

My friend and I are starting a road trip in San Antonio, Texas in early January. We are planning to hop in a classic American car and embark on an epic road trip!

However, we have no idea where to drive to or where to end up.....maybe in San Diego or LA????

We would really appreciate any suggestions, tips or advice.

We are thinking of travelling for a minimum of 2 weeks.

Thank you! x

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !!

I'm afraid the classic American dream of jumping in an American classic car and heading for the sunset isn't quite that simple. Well the classic car bit anyway. If you can find one it would be very expensive to rent and I doubt you will be able to return it to another destination. If you are happy to settle for a 'standard' rental and are over 21 years of age, you shouldn't have a problem. Note; Most rental companies rent there cars out in a class of vehicle and the type they advertise will note - 'Or similar', so choosing a Mustang won't guarantee that is what you will get on the day of pick up.

Where to head to ? Now that should depend totally on your interests and at what pace you like to journey at. If you search around the forums and use the road trip planning tools above you will find a million and one ideas ! Once you have an idea where you are headed and what interests you, we can help fill in the blanks. San Diego and LA are both viable options, you might want to go further afield and check out places Monument valley, Grand canyon, Vegas, parts of old route 66 and the Mojave along the way.

Enjoy the planning !

Default problem out of the gate

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I'm afraid there is one very big problem with your goal: Doing a roadtrip in a "classic" will basically not be possible. Such vehicles are not available for rent, except as ultra-expensive exotic rentals and even there you can't take them for long distance trips. Buying a car is generally not possible as non-residents of the US, and even if it was, it certainly wouldn't be practical for a trip that only lasts a couple of weeks. Despite the romance, classic cars don't make as wonderful of roadtrip vehicles as the movies make them out to be anyway.

BTW, round trips are usually cheaper than one way trips, and you'll pay a premium of you are under 25. Renting a car is virtually impossible if you are under 21.

Otherwise, the world is pretty much your oyster. Figuring out where you want to go and how much time you'll have available are kind of the first steps of planning a trip, and if you haven't figured those things out, other people can't really be of all that much help. I'd really suggest you get out a good map, and spend some time sitting with your co-traveler figuring out what kinds of things look interesting to you. Once you've got some idea of your own goals, then we can help you put things together and make this happen.

Default If, Then

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

First off: You are not going to be able "to hop in a classic American car and embark on an epic road trip!" No one in San Antonio is going to have such cars to rent, and if they did they would be for local usage only and would come with a very hefty tariff. What you are going to be able to rent is the typical sedan. Anything else will be significantly more expensive both to rent and to keep fueled. You will also be much better off if you plan to return the car to San Antonio if possible. Returning it somewhere else, say San Diego or Los Angeles, will run you an extra $300 or so. Also, if one or both of you are under 25, then you will also need to be ready to pay an additional $25/day for each said driver over the entire length of the rental contract if said driver wants to drive for even one minute.

However, with those caveats, you are headed into a spectacularly beautiful area of the country and can easily make a loop trip back to San Antonio over two weeks. Places you should consider include Big Bend National Park, White Sands National Monument, Roswell, Carlsbad Caverns, Petroglyph National Monument, Taos, Petrified Forest National Park, Monument Valley, the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Joshua Tree National Park, the Salton Sea, Anza-Borrego Desert State Park, and Balboa Park in San Diego....and a ton more.

AZBuck

Thanks everyone, please be more careful with my dreams people!!!! I will be cruising into the sunset with my classic car before you know it!!!!

Thanks for the advice, we'll get some more details together and get back to you....just as a start though....any ideas of a route?

e.g. SA, Houston, Phoenix, San Diego and up???

ps. We're 25 and over

Thanks everyone, please be more careful with my dreams people!!!! I will be cruising into the sunset with my classic car before you know it!!!!
    Good luck. I will tread more carefully ! ;-)

As for routes, there really is no end of possibilities, but myself and Buck have given you a few ideas to get you started. If going to SD and "up" is appealing then you could spend a bit of time along the coast and end in San Fran. Between Cambria and Monterey around Big Sur, Highway 1 is considered one of the worlds top scenic coastal drives.

You and your friend should take a US map and look it over carefully. What do each of you wish to see and/or accomplish with the trip? What is between two points that look interesting to either or both of you?

Many people that flying out of San Diego, internationally, makes them fly through or change at LAX anyway. Bear that in mind if you go back to the UK.

Donna

9. Default

When making your plans, consider drive time, what you want to see and arrival time at that place. Two weeks isn't a lot of time to do what you want if you expect to see much.

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default Route 66

Pop up to Amarillo, Texas, and get your kicks.

Just beware, winter can be a bear.