1. Default Chicago to the Grand Canyon

My family and I are hoping to 'cross the pond' from the UK and undertake a coast to coast roadtrip from Boston to San Francisco over the summer. We have a pretty good idea on how to spend the first part and latter stages of the journey but are open to any suggestions on how to fill in the middle part between Chicago and the Grand Canyon. We will have approximately 18 days to complete this journey and would appreciate any tips on routes / 'must see' destinations that we could investigate further before finalising our route.

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The reality is that there are far too many things for you to possibly do for anyone to start narrowing them down at this point. There really is no such thing as a generic "must see" just thousands upon thousands of possibilities.

What you really need to do is spend more time getting an idea of what you want to do. Get a good map, and then use other resources, including this site, to come up with some of the spots that are your own personal "must sees"

Once you've got an idea of what you want, then we can help you put it together and find more suggestions to fill in the gaps, but you need to be farther along before anyone else can really be helpful, beyond throwing out blind guesses.

South of England.

Default A few ideas.

Hello and welcome from another UK'er !

Michael is absolutely correct when he says there are thousands of great options and to make this trip your own you will need get some dots on the map and share your thoughts and interests with us. East of Denver I have no experience, although you can use tool s like the RTA Map Wizard and Map Centre to search for ideas and create routes. Check out the 'Maps' link in the tool bar above.

Now west of Denver there is some amazing and diverse scenery to be found from Alpine in Colorado to Red rock in southern Utah to desert in Arizona. If you ventured into Colorado you have the likes of Rocky mountain NP, Colorado NM, Black canyon of the Gunnison, Mesa Verde and some great scenic drives like the 'Million dollar Highway' [US550] and the mountain towns of Silverton and Ouray. Southern Utah has some fine National parks like Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Bryce canyon and Zion and again some great scenic drives, like Utah scenic 12. Arizona offers up the delights of Monument valley, Canyon De Chelley, Meteor Crater, Sunset crater Volcanic park as well as the Grand canyon and there is so much more !! You might want to head further south or head west on a more northerly route that will throw up plenty more options. As you plan keep asking questions as and when.

Over to you and enjoy the planning !!

4. Default

Thanks for the feedback Dave. With very limited prior knowledge of this vast area of land, the ideas you suggested will certainly help kick-start my research into this roadtrip. Once the dots start populating the route I’ll no doubt be back with further questions.

Tucson, AZ

Default The Standard

The previous responders are correct in that there is no single 'best' route or list of 'must sees', but it is probably true that there are a few 'old standards' that most folks would recommend on such a trip IF they knew that you were going more or less direct. The problem is, that with 18 days, you could easily wander quite a bit off the straight and narrow. But let's start with that and assume that you are going to take I-80 across the Plains, drop down to Denver on I-76, use I-70 to cross the Rockies, and finish up by taking US-191/US-163/US-89 to the Grand Canyon. In that case, for starters, you should be looking at the Amana Colonies, Council Bluffs and some Lewis & Clark history, the landmarks of the old Oregon Trail, Rocky Mountain National Park, Loveland Pass, Colorado National Monument, Arches National Park, Monument Valley Navajo Tribal Park, and the Grand Canyon. There are certainly enough smaller venues as well along that route to keep you interested for a couple of weeks, but you can easily wander a bit off and hit the 'old Pony Express route, the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Mesa Verde National Park, Canyon de Chelley National Monument, etc., etc., etc.