Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default From MN to AZ for the month of january :)

I'm gonna visit my brother in Bouse, AZ. I, also, want to take in the Grand Canyon and the warm AZ valley with all it has to offer. I'll be traveling in my small suv, that is equipted for overnight stays. I will have a warm sleeping bag with enough comfy padding. I plan to spend nights at travel plazas, campgrounds and wally worlds, where permitted. I want to get a Golden Age Passport at the Grand Canyon. How much can I save on entrance fees and camping, by doing that?
    Any advice for my trip is, certainly, welcome. I'd love to take the CO route down, but better check weather/road conditions first.
    Thanx!
    Tudy

Welcome to the RTA forum!

The Golden Age Passport does not exist anymore. Its been replaced by the Senior Pass, which costs $10 for the rest of your life2 and is open to any US resident over the age of 62. That covers all entrance fees and provides up to a 50% discount at some federal campgrounds.

One thing that I've been wondering about. I have a smartphone, that I will need to keep charged. If I don't have access to an ac outlet, will plugging into my cars aux outlet run down my cars battery? What other options do I have?
    Thanx,
    Tudy

As long as your car is running, and your alternator is working, accessories like a phone have basically zero impact on your cars battery. If your phone is plugged in when the car off, it will be drawing current from the batter, but even there, unless your battery is already in weak shape it's unlikely it would take enough power to impact your ability to start the car.

For a side trip, is Mexico safe?

Default basically no

Mexican Border towns are a very dangerous place right now do to the ongoing drug wars. I would certainly not visit Nogales, which like other major border towns like Juarez and Tijuana are extremely dangerous with crime rates that make them among the most violence places on the planet.

If you badly want to visit Mexico from Arizona, you could look at Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point), the touristy town at the top of the Gulf of California. I believe there has been relatively little violence there, however even there, I would be using an extremely high level of caution. Also remember that you need a passport to cross the border, and you will need to purchase Mexican Insurance as your US policy will not be valid south of the border.

What about San Felipe, Baha. We used to drive down there, but that was 20 yrs ago.

San Felipe should be okay, but use the Mexicali or San Luis border crossing, NOT the Tijuana crossing.

A safe border town is Algodones, they specialize in doctors, dentists, and prescription medicines.

From what I've read Mexicali and San Felipe have mostly - but not completely - been spared from the violence plaguing Mexico. Again, I'd still use a very high level of caution.

Also be aware that in both Rocky Point and San Felipe, the tourism industries have taken major hits because of the violence and the number of Americans who simply don't want to deal with the risks.

Thank you very much. I think I'll just park and walk across in a safe area, if I do go.