1. Default San Diego to Reno during Thanksgiving!

My wife and I will take a road trip to Reno from San Diego during thanksgiving holidays. I'm seeing there are various options as far as direction goes. I was wondering if you have any recommendation for the direction that we should take, I5+80 or I15+ 395 or something else? Apparently we would like to avoid traffic and chain. We'll be driving two days before the holiday. Thanks.

Welcome!

You will have to keep your options open and make your decision at the last minute after checking conditions and the forecast. If the conditions are okay, I-15/US-395 is the most direct and is 80 miles shorter than I-5/I-80. That also keeps you away from downtown LA.

If there is snow in the area, there may be a chain requirement on parts of US-395. However, there also may be a chain requirement on I-80.

If you find you will have to take I-80 instead of US-395, you can bypass most of the LA traffic by taking I-15 to I-395, then CA-58 to Bakersfield and CA-99 to Sacramento to pick up I-80. However, this does add yet another 50 miles, pushing the trip up to about 700 miles.

No matter which way you go, it will be a very long day on the road, and I'd advise you to leave very early in the morning. If you must leave any later, please plan on spending a night on the road enroute.

If you need chains, Walmart used to sell cable chains real cheap in the San Diego area - I don't know if they still do. I bought a set for my sister's Grand Prix for 30 bucks at the WM in Santee a couple years ago so she and my nephew could get up to Big Bear for some skiing and snowboarding.

Update:

You may be facing poor conditions no matter which way you go. I would plan on taking 2 days to get from SD to Reno.

4. Default Thanks

Thank you or for the reply, if we happen to stay a night in the road, where do you recommend to stay? Perhaps somewhere that we can visit some attractions in the day after?

It all depends on which way you go and how far you can make it the first day. I think you are going to have to play the whole trip by ear. If you go up 395, you will be going right past Death Valley, and there is a pretty decent selection of reasonably priced hotels in Bishop. If you go up 5 or 99, there are several cities with plenty of hotels - the 3 biggest are Bakersfield, Fresno, and Sacramento. However, the major attractions such as Sequoia and Yosemite will likely have snow to deal with. Even with 2 days, I don't think you would have time to go up the coast road.