Las Vegas, Nevada, United States

Default Article: Vietnam Veterans Memorial State Park - Eagle Nest, New Mexico

Momentarily I thought this was going to be a reference to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial wall in Washington because that wall brings back a potent memory of a few years ago. I don’t want to detract from the Vietnam Veterans Memorial State Park in Eagle Nest but it is all in the same spirit.

In fact I didn’t know Eagle Nest was so near to Taos because had I known I would have gone there when in Taos not too long ago. I can well understand parents wanting to remember their son in such a way.

Being from the UK I did not serve in Vietnam but I did serve draft service in the army for my country just before that time. I saw some hot moments abroad and understand the loyalty of soldiers and it happened more by accident than design I was in Washington at the memorial wall on Memorial Day. I was quietly standing looking at the names on the wall when three men gathered at a place in front of the wall and hugged one another. I could see tears in their eyes and it was obviously in respect of a fallen comrade. They had obviously travelled from far away to join up on the day. I felt at one with them and it is a moment I shall never forget.