Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Getting engaged on a trip... help me find the perfect spot.

So I need some help in finding the perfect spot to propose to my girl. We will be driving from New Jersey to Hilton Head Island, South Carolina. The route will take us down Rt 95 through Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, and South Carolina. I want it to be a surprise, so no out of the way place will really work. and I would prefer it be somewhere in North or South Carolina. Also, we may be driving over night so it will be morning by the time we get down to NC. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

A special girl deserves romance and you want a memory to remember. The location at the end of the pier would be my choice.

All the best wishes.

Default Two Issues

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

To be honest, nothing about your proposed trip strikes me as romantic. The first problem is that you are proposing to drive over 800 miles in one sitting. That is a brutal undertaking and quite frankly I've known very happily married couples who can barely speak to each other after that much enforced close proximity, let alone be willing to say "yes" to The Question. The second issue is your route of choice. I know of no particularly romantic locations along it. I-95 is the major commercial, commuting, and tourism artery of the entire east coast. It is heavily traveled and lined with plastic, cookie-cutter travelers' services, not romantic hideaways.

So, what to do. First plan on taking two days for the drive. This will let you make the trip enjoyable and also set up your surprise. What I'd suggest is that you turn left at Wilmington, DE and head down the Delmarva Peninsula on DE-1/US-13, then follow US-17 the rest of the way down the coast from Norfolk to Hilton Head. You would spend the night somewhere around New Bern, NC.

Yes, this takes a full two days to drive, but it will be a much more relaxed and enjoyable drive that will also give you time to have real meals at local and distinct restaurants with some ambience rather than crammed into a plastic booth at an exit ramp chain fast food place surrounded by truckers and screaming kids. It will also let you stop at quiet and scenic spots along the way such as The Green in Dover, DE; the pier on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel; the Dismal Swamp State Natural Area; Croatan National Forest; Huntington Beach State Park south of Myrtle Beach; White Point Gardens in Charleston; and similar locales located right along your route. Make short stops at venues like that three or four times a day and let the perfect setting, time, and mood dictate when you pop the question rather than have a set 'plan of attack' at the end of a long and stressful drive.

AZBuck

4. Default

Thanks for all of that advice. We have done this trip every year for the past few years, so I definitely know what you mean about it being a somewhat tough drive, with little in the way of roadside distractions. This is the reason we've done it over night. Traffic is mostly avoided and we take turns driving and sleeping so tensions never flare up. The reason we aim to do it in a single day is that we are young and time off of work is not plentiful. We only get to spend a few days in SC, so time on the road needs to be minimized. I would love to make it a multi day trip as sitting in a car for 10-12 hours in not what I look forward to every year for the holidays. I have no problem taking a bit of a detour as long as its not excessively out of the way. I will definitely look into the route you suggested though. I don't know if it will be an option, but I'll give it some thought.
    Last edited by AZBuck; 11-17-2011 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Removed quote of entire previous post

Default Because you do it every year.

As I read through AZBuck's post, I drove the route again. It is a wonderfully relaxed route with much to see and sights to absorb. And especially because, as you say, you have done it every year, makes me think that this year.... this special occasion.... demands a change. A romantic change. Something new, to reflect the new journey of your life.

I would highly recommend that you at least look closely at the advice of this wise and experienced roadtripper (and grandfather).

Lifey

We have done this trip every year for the past few years
    All the more reason to get off the beaten track, take your time, and do something different! And only drive during the day so you can actually SEE things.

An alternative to the coastal route described by Buck would be to go inland - taking or roughly paralleling I-81, I-77, and I-26. I will do almost ANYTHING to avoid the I-95 corridor from Boston to south of Richmond, and even south of Richmond, I'm not impressed by what scenery it does have.

If all you want to do is get to Hilton Head, you might as well just fly.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    All the more reason to get off the beaten track, take your time, and do something different! And only drive during the day so you can actually SEE things.
    I have to agree. Going to a pretty familiar route takes out the romance and excitement for the proposal. A great start would be to change the destination.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ejdixon View Post
    I have to agree. Going to a pretty familiar route takes out the romance and excitement for the proposal. A great start would be to change the destination.
    Changing the destination is not an option as that is where her parents live, and we are driving down to visit for the holidays. Flying is also out of the question due to cost.

Default Great News!

Quote Originally Posted by bobdod View Post
    Changing the destination is not an option as that is where her parents live, and we are driving down to visit for the holidays.
    If that's the case, I would follow the earlier advice, and take a little longer to get. The wonderful news you will be bringing her parents will make up for arriving a day later.

All the best.

Lifey

Default Actually...

Why not call her parents ahead of time and tell them what you plan to do and ask their permission to take a little longer than normal for the drive down. It wouldn't hurt to score some 'thoughtfulness' points with your future in-laws, and you might be surprised how supportive they could be.

AZBuck