Default Boston to San Francisco

This coming summer I will be biking from Boston to San Francisco with a small group of people. We are discussing the route we might take for sightseeing purposes.

So far we are planning to cross Massachusetts and upstate New York to see Niagara Falls and then most likely along the great lakes to Cedar Point in Ohio for what will likely be our second rest day. From there we aren't sure which direction to head. I think it'd be more fun to take a more northern route and see the arch in St Louis, and then Yosemite, Crater Lake, the Redwoods and ultimately down the PCH to San Fran, with other stops along the way. We are also looking at a route that would let us see the Grand Canyon and other sites along a southern path.

I'd like to hear some pros and cons to each route. We will be going in June and July and already know that crossing the desert in the summer is a con.

P.S. if you're ultimately on our route and want to let us camp in your yard in exchange for stories on the road and a hug then that's cool too. Haha.

Default neither nor

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I don't think you can say "pros" and "cons" because there are not just 2 options to pick from. I mean from Cleveland, you could certainly head towards St. Louis, continue towards the Grand Canyon and then head to Yosemite, and up to your "northern" route ideas. The simple reality is that there are millions of potential routes and stopping points in between just the couple of ideas you've mentioned (Just between St. Louis and either the Grand Canyon or Yosemite are thousands of miles and dozens of national parks). The right answer for you will be the one that fits the places you want to see most.

Rather than looking for either/or answers right now, I'd focus on building a big list of possibilities, and then you can start to narrow things down a bit from there.

Default Nat as silly as it sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Wahl View Post
    P.S. if you're ultimately on our route and want to let us camp in your yard in exchange for stories on the road and a hug then that's cool too. Haha.
    Sounds to me like you might benefit from joining Couchsurfing. Since you still have half a year before departure, I would use this time to establish a profile, get verified every which way, and build up references.

Keep in mind that quite a few hostels in the less urban areas allow tent camping along with the use of their facilities. To pick up some more clues for travelling on a shoestring you might like to check out this report, and this forum.

Having driven from Boston to the west coast, and back, several times on different routes, "I dips me lid to you!"

Lifey

Well right now im really just looking for suggestions for stuff to see along the way. If there's a particularly awesome site that I might not know about then throw it my way.

Thanks for the couchsurfing idea. That should be super helpful.