1. Default Planning a road trip from NE PA to Grand Canyon AZ

I am trying to plan a solo 2 week road trip from NE Pa to the Grand Canyon.
    i thought of flying and renting a car but the more I looked at driving it the more i thought of al the beauty i would miss if i flew.
    Any suggestions?

Default Not Yet...

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The 'golden rule' of RoadTrips is that there is no one-size-fits-all perfect RoadTrip. So in order to make suggestions that you'd find helpful, people are going to have to know what you'd find helpful. Make sense? At a minimum they'd need to know how long you have for the trip, what your interests are, if you have any budgetary restrictions, what your travel style is like, what you would hope to see and do en route, stuff like that. "NE Pennsylvania" to the Grand Canyon covers roughly two thirds of the country, and an otherwise unlimited list of suggestions would (and has) run to book length. So the first step is up to you...

AZBuck

3. Default

I have 2 weeks to travel. My destination is the Grand Canyon to be awwed by the beauty. Something i have wanted to do for many years, and I am not getting any younger.
    I love Natural Wonders, Native American Indians and their life and history. i would love to spend a few days in the Grand Canyon even if it means sleeping under the stars. If i can spend anytime on a reservation that would be my ideal dream! When I looked at the map and saw that there were so many things i could see in person rather that flying over them and saying "I should have drove" thats when i decided i would like a road trip. I like traveling, but do not want to travel to far off the path. I am on a budget and would be looking for cheap hotel/motel to stay at. I do have a tent and can camp out if needed. I would like to see some of OK and NM. I am a layed back easy going person but i am choose to do this solo because this is my dream and I dont want to travel under anyone else agenda. Just Mine. i can skip museums unless they are of Native American Indians.

A few places come to mind....Canyon de Chelly and Chaco Canyon.....both in No AZ/No NM. Also Mesa Verde in SW Colorado.

Donna

5. Default

What time of the year are you going on your trip?

I'll second DonnaR57's suggestions of Canyon de Chelly, Chaco Canyon and Mesa Verde and add Monument Valley on the Utah/Arizona border.

The first three parks mentioned have campgrounds. Canyon de Chelly National Monument campground is free while the lodging is over $100 a night. Chaco Canyon doesn't have anywhere close for lodging but it has a campground. There's nothing better than camping in Mesa Verde under the stars!

Between Canyon de Chelly and the Grand Canyon you might want to drive Hwy 264 though Keems Canyon and Second Mesa. Go south on Hwy 191 and then Hwy 264 to Tuba City, AZ.

Utahtea

6. Default

Thanl you Donna. I will look into them

7. Default

Planning on hitting the road in April 2012. After the spring breakers and retirees head home. I would not mind sleeping under the stars. That I would love to do.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by lap View Post
    Something i have wanted to do for many years, and I am not getting any younger.
    Many of us can relate to that. You will never regret it.

I'll just echo all the places mentioned above. You really need to leave time to explore them. Most are not places to just look at and pass through. Mesa Verda is so amazing, you will want to spend some days there.

I am on a budget and would be looking for cheap hotel/motel to stay at. I do have a tent and can camp out if needed.
    Using the hotel/motel coupon books can considerably cut down on accommodation costs. You will find the books at rest areas, welcome centres and many truck stops. Mostly they are for walk-ins, though I often rang ahead to check if there were vacancies.

I am a layed back easy going person but i am choose to do this solo because this is my dream and I dont want to travel under anyone else agenda. Just Mine.
    My type of roadtrip! Try and avoid too much forward planning. With good maps or a road atlas you are free to make decisions on the run.... go wherever the wind blows. Enjoy!

And when you are done, please come back here and tell us how it all went. We love to read roadtripper's experiences and see their pictures.

Lifey

9. Default

Planning on hitting the road in April 2012. After the spring breakers and retirees head home. I would not mind sleeping under the stars. That I would love to do.
    Thank you!
    Hate to break it to you, but if you wait for the "retirees" to head home, then you will be into summer! ;)

You can still run into some cold weather in April so come prepared.

Utahtea

Default Another perspective.

I am trying to plan a solo 2 week road trip from NE Pa to the Grand Canyon.
    i thought of flying and renting a car but the more I looked at driving it the more i thought of al the beauty i would miss if i flew.
    Any suggestions?
    i would love to spend a few days in the Grand Canyon even if it means sleeping under the stars.
    I have 2 weeks to travel.
    Going against my normal train of thought of- don't fly, drive - I wonder if you would be better off flying this time, which could actually allow you too "miss-less". You would need 8 or 9 full days to drive out and back to GC, with not much time for anything but short breaks from the car to eat, fill with gas and stretch your legs. With a "few days" at the GC you won't have a lot of spare time to "really explore" [as mentioned by Lifemagician] other places.

That's not to say your trip isn't perfectably doable, but if for instance, you flew into the region [Vegas, Phoenix, Denver, or into Denver and out of Vegas] you would have much more time out of the car for exploration. As well as those places previously mentioned, you could consider Monument Valley, Zion NP, Bryce canyon, Capitol Reef, Arches and Canyonlands and from Denver there is Rocky montain NP, Black canyon, Colorado NM plus much, much more !

It's certainly an option, but I understand that it could be a budget breaker.