Default New York to anywhere!!

Landing at JFK or EWR March 30th 2012. Then where!! Happy to spend two / three nights in New York at the beginning or end of trip but want to see some sights. Like the countryside - drives along open roads etc and also lakes where we can hire a boat for a couple of days. How about Boston? Dont want to drive everyday - looking to split 14 days into four stops in a circle back to New York for our flight home. Any suggestions welcome.

Southern California

I think the FIRST thing I'd do, if it were me, is to get a good USA map and see what's ideal. Boston and points north are nice, but places like Acadia NP (Maine) may have a lot of facilities and roads still closed, in early April. Boston itself would be available, as would places such as Niagara Falls (NY).

Tucson, AZ

Default Two Options

While I would normally not hesitate at all to recommend New England for your trip, March can be a bit dodgy as far as the weather goes in that neck of the woods. It will definitely be cool with the possibility of snow and/or cold rain. And in Vermont, that is smack dab in the middle of their fifth season: Mud. Still, if the weather looks good, it could be a great time to go - ahead of the summer tourists. As for 3 or 4 possible stops to explore for a couple of days: Mystic/Newport; Boston; Franconia Notch/White Mountains; and Burlington/Lake Champlain.

But if the weather looks bad up north, then the alternative would be to head south and explore the coast and historic areas around the Chesapeake including the Delaware Beaches/Ocean city; the Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk; Tidewater Virginia (Jamestown/Williamsburg/Yorktown); Mount Vernon/Washington.

ermm! Did the alternative route you're suggesting this summer!! Flights from UK are soaring in price hence the Easter visit next year. Will have a look into the weather forcasts. Thanks for that, Nic
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 11-12-2011 at 01:31 PM. Reason: added link to the 2011 trip

Tucson, AZ

Default Then New England It Is

And for some more tips on that (my favorite) part of the country, have a read through these discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by SmithsUK View Post
    Flights from UK are soaring in price hence
    The rising air fares are starting to bite and will deter many potential travellers from taking long trips. I’ve been crossing the Atlantic – London to SFO – for a few years and in the past couple of years prices have risen sharply especially at high season.

For example in July/August 2012 a flight with BA - LHR to SFO - is now in the region of $1780 return per adult. And looking at the detail of this fare it includes taxes and duty of $538 which is about a third of the fare.

Mind you, I do find the months of June and September when the fares are slightly cheaper very good months to tour the West of the USA.

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

If you're into Northern Soul Music, you might like to go to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.

They have something called Beach Music which is closely related to Northern Soul.

You should check out all of New England really. Not sure what your budget is. Rhode Island, Vermont, Maine are all within a couple of hours of each other because the states are so small.