1. Default Winter Road trip - too crazy?

Hi! I really need advice! I am planning a December vacation to NYC. We were considering staying for 4 days in NYC and then rent a car and drive to Whiteface mountain ( I read it will take 5 1/2 hours) stay for 3 days in whiteface and the hit the road again to Niagara falls ( I read it will take 6 hours) stay in Niagara for 3 days and then drive back to NYC and since it will take 8 hours we consider to stay for a night in the Poconos area... We do not have experience driving in winter road conditions and I don' t know if this proposed travel is safe or should we avoid this?? We love road trips but never have done one in winter months. Advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Southern California

Welcome to RTA!

Weather is impossible to predict this far in advance, so who knows now what you'll face when you're ready to roll. You've got to keep an eye on the forecasts and have alternative plans.

As far as hours to travel - - if you're using Mapquest or Google to judge how many hours something takes to get to, bear in mind that those mapping programs don't need to stop for gas, go to the bathroom, eat, or just need to get out and stretch. They can't judge the road conditions, either. So if something says 5-1/2 hours, expect to take 8. This also gives you a little leeway to wait for the weather to clear, too.

3. Default

As what Donna mentioned, it's impossible to know what will be the weather condition will be like when you take your trip at this point in time. You can try to check the NBC New York website to get an idea on the weather, traffic and road conditions throughout New York.

4. Default

take your time and enjoy the scenery
    Last edited by Wepa; 11-19-2011 at 11:22 PM.