1. Default suggestions for Dallas to Charleston, South Carolina

Hey guys,

As the title suggests, I'm driving from Dallas to Charleston, SC. I'm not in any great hurry, so was wondering if I should consider veering off the I20 path?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for making my trip more enjoyable, even if I do end up going to I20 route? I'm driving alone and am thinking I will take 3 days to do the drive, but could take longer if it seems worthwhile. Does anyone know of any good places to stop at, see, eat, etc on a fairly limited budget?

Thanks in advance

Tucson, AZ

Default When I Was There

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

For my own experiences in covering almost exactly that same ground, read through days 3 and 4 from this trip report. had a great time visiting those spots, but certainly there are others. If you have specific interests, speak up.

Southern California

Welcome to RTA!

You didn't say what time of year you are planning this trip, which definitely could affect your plans. Three days is about the bare minimum that I would allot for going from Dallas to SC, and those would be some mighty long days. That's easier to do in the summer months than in the winter months, because weather is less likely to hold you up in the summer (except, perhaps, a tornado along your route).

To help you better, knowing a little bit about the things that interest you would help us. As for eating .... our favorite thing to do is to drive into an area and ask the locals "where's a good place to eat that isn't a chain?" We've gotten some great food that way.

South of England.

Default Some RTA options.

With fair weather and early[ish] starts you could cover the distance in 2 long[ish] days, so with 3 or more you could do a little exploring.

Using the Map Wizard with your start and finish points, I found 35 attractions within 50 miles of the route. You can zoom in and out and click on the markers for more info.

You will find the Map Wizard and Map centre in the green tool bar above where you can extend the search distance up to 100 miles and create different routes if you wish, when using the Map centre.

5. Default

thank you for the suggestions. I actually just completed the drive (arrived in Charleston this evening). Took two days, which was a little daunting as the only driver. All went smoothly though. I'll definitely be on these forums more often in future, and hopefully with more time for planning!