1. Default Christmas Week Driving Trip

Hi,

Just joined the group and looking for advice. Planning a driving trip between Christmas and New Year, probably 6 to 7 days total. I'm in Chicago suburbs and would like to go south. 2 adults 2 kids. Right now, thinking maybe stopping in Springfield IL, St. Louis, MO, Nashville TN, Louisville KY. Nothing definite. Is this doable? Are there other places that are better stopping points so I don't stop at the same place on my way home?

Thanks,
    Albert

Other than "going south", what are your goals for the trip? Are you looking to see something in particular, just want to get away from home, or what? It would help us a lot to know this, before we offer any advice.

Donna

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I actually did a similar, but slightly shorter trip, around new years last year. We went down to Metropolis IL, spent a day at Land Between the Lakes, did one tour at Mammoth Cave, and then spent a couple days with friends in Indiana. We got lucky with some unseasonably warm weather (temps in the 50s for the most part) but you will have to keep in mind that weather could play a role in what you do.

4. Default

Goal is R&R. See and do things kids will enjoy. They are 9 and 11. We've never done a road trip b4.

The kids would probably enjoy Mammoth Cave -- I was about 10 when I made a trip there with my parents, and absolutely LOVED it. That's in Kentucky. Pigeon Forge, TN has some theme parks and amusements that kids would love, but I believe they may be closed for the Winter - - check the Dollywood website for sure, if you're interested. Nashville also has a few things that would be interesting to all ages, if country music is your bag!

St Louis has the Arch, which is a fun trip UP. They also have a really nice Discovery Science museum for kids - my 10 year old niece loves to go there. Outside of St Louis, on the Illinois side near Granite City, are some Mounds.

Springfield is a very historical city, with all the Lincoln stuff there - - his home, the capital, his tomb is not all that far away and neither is New Salem (the re-created village where Lincoln lived).

Donna

6. Default

Thanks Donna and Michael. I'll definitely check out Mammoth Cave.