1. Default Bay Area, CA to Denver, CO

What is the fastest route from the Bay Area (CA) to Denver, CO in the next 30 days? I don't care about scenery/photography or sightseeing. There will several stops for bathroom breaks and eating (no restaurants, just whatever I pack). What time should I leave?

Southern California

When needing to get someplace fast, rely on interstates. They have rest areas, restaurants, hotels, and other amenities right on the exits. I would say you have two choices:

I-80 straight across to Wyoming, then drop south to Denver on I-25.

I-80 to I-15, south on I-15 to I-70 east.

The biggest difference is elevation along I-70...the weather could hold you up. Of course, you are likely to hit weather along I-80, too, that could hold you up.

As far as "what time should I leave?", that is personal preference. If you prefer to drive in daylight hours (best idea if you may get into some inclement weather), leave at dawn and get into a hotel before dinner.

You WILL need to find an overnight spot - - that's a 2-day drive from Bay Area to Denver. Elko NV or Wendover might be a good spot.

Melbourne, Australia

Default Leave enough time to stop!

Hi, and Welcome to the The Great American RoadTrip Forum.

What time should I leave?
    Regardless of which route you take, you should leave enough time for an overnight stop. This is not a trip which can be safely done in one day, even without stopping for meals. Which btw, is most unwise. You do need time out of the vehicle, to make sure you stay alert and continue to focus. Stop regularly, get some exercise and drink plenty of water along the way.

Have a safe trip.

South of England.

Default Early.

As Donna mentioned the quickest route is I80 to I25 and as also mentioned is a tough 2 day drive, it would be unwise and unsafe to do it without stopping and if one day is your only option, then fly. Personally I would be looking to get out of the Bay area by 5am to get a good head start and avoid the morning rush.

Before committing to a route, check weather forecasts and road conditions. If you can choose when you go anytime in the next 30 days, you will need good conditions to do the trip in 2 days.