A friend of mine will be driving a 10 foot Budget moving truck from Phoenix to Philly next week (2nd week in November). She has never driven more than 200 miles, and she has never driven a moving truck (although she was handy with a big SUV). We've discussed several options including flying, movers, car rentals, trailers, etc....due to financial constraints, this is the option she has chosen.
Here are my concerns:
- She will be with her three kids...14, 12, and 9 (quite cramped).
- Two dogs...a lab and a bull dog....not small.
- She has decided to put them in the back of the truck...I advised against this, but I don't even know if it's legal? Is it? Is it "only" a ticket if caught, or could she be possibly required to abort the trip if caught?
- If she chances it (against my recommendation), I'm hoping she'll at least put the dogs in kennels to keep them safer.
- My preference would be to avoid bad weather if possible as well as excessively steep roads/mountains.
: Any recommendations on routes?
Primary route offered online is Phoenix to Globe, AZ, Show Low, AZ up to the I-40 and then to Albuquerque, Amarillo, Oklahoma City, the I-44 to St. Louis, I-70 to Indianapolis, Columbus, and finally Philly.
Other than cold weather and always a chance of snow, should any part of that route be avoided due to excessively steep roads, freak weather likelihood, difficulty with moving trucks, etc?
I have insisted that she stop every afternoon/early evening and stay in a motel...she's quite stubborn and thinks she can drive all day long and sleep in the truck.
Any input is appreciated....preferably in regards to the route. Thanks!