1. Default December Roadtrip: Minneapolis to Burlington, VT

Hello. I am new to the site and finding a ton of great information. Thank you!

My wife and I are planning to drive the 1300+ mile from Minneapolis to Northern Vermont. We will be leaving Minneapolis on December 14 and will be beginning our return on New Years day. We will be traveling with our dog and hope to make the trip as quickly as possible (no sight seeing). Most mapping software recommends going through Canada but we want to stay in the US to avoid the hassle with the dog.

A few questions I have:

1) Should I look at routes that avoid the cities on the way (Chicago, Cleveland, Buffalo) due to traffic or should this not be a major concern?
    2) My wife is a night person (typically sleeps 3AM-10AM) and I am on a more conventional schedule. Should we switch off and try to drive straight through or plan to find a hotel (or 2) on the way?
    3) Where might I find a good resource for finding pet friendly hotels?

Any tips for roadtripping with pets and route suggestions would be most appreciated. Thank you!

Joplin MO

1. My mapping software does recommend you go via Chicago, Cleveland, Buffalo, and Albany. However, it does recommend that you take I-87 and then the FERRY across Lake Champlain to Burlington. I don't know if this is a reasonable option, you would probably want to look at US-4 to US-7.

If you get an early enough start out of MSP, you should be able to get through Chicago before the bulk of afternoon rush hour. A good option is I-90 to I-290 to I-355 to I-80.

2. Driving straight through is a bad idea. I would plan on spending 2 nights on the road each day.

3. If all you are looking for is a place to sleep with no amenities, the whole Motel 6 chain is pet-friendly. If you want something better, La Quinta is also a pet-friendly chain. Other hotels are on a case-by-case basis.

South of England.

Default Safety first.

I would like to chime in and add my concerns, driving straight for 1300 miles is not a good idea at all. You will not get proper rest in a moving vehicle and with only the two of you, if one were to sleep the driver would have no one to keep an eye on them. It wouldn't be safe with any number of drivers TBH. As it is, it would be two long days on the road and if you have any kind of weather disruption you will need to add another night. Actually I would recommend 2 overnight stops anyway and finish the journey in the am of day three.

4. Default Thank you!

Thanks for the great advice! I appreciate the advice and particularly the suggestions regarding breaking up the trip! As a total roadtrip rookie, this helps a lot.