1. Default SF to Grand Canyon along I-40

Hi Everyone :)

My boyfriend and I are planning a road trip across the southern part of the country in Mid-December. We've got about three weeks to drive from Olympia, WA to Fayetteville, NC (we are moving there) and would like to see as much of the scenic US as possible/practical in that time.

I've got the trip well planned from our house down to San Francisco, where we plan to stay at least one night and visit Alcatraz, do some shopping, etc. Our next major stop is the Grand Canyon where we will camp overnight. We plan to take I-5 south to Bakersfield, CA, then cut across CA-58 to I-40 and follow it to AZ-64 so we can camp on the southern rim.

I'm wondering what cool stuff there might be to see along that route? Also, do I need to worry overly much about weather conditions? We have snow chains and 4WD on our truck, but I tend to be paranoid about driving in snow or ice. I know the canyon will probably be pretty chilly, but does it snow heavily on the south rim?

South of England.

Default Unpredictable.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

How much time do you have for this part of the trip ? If you are sticking to the main route you have laid out, you will need an overnight stop. You could drive down the scenic coast highway and around Big sur to Cambria, before cutting inland. Another option would be to head more inland where you will find Yosemite and Sequoia NP, but there would be more risk of snow and having to use those chains. Death valley and Vegas would also be a possible detour via Bakersfield/Lake Isabella. Note that you won't be able to cross the Sierra Nevada from Yosemite to DV at this time of year due to snow on the mountains.

The weather is totally unpredictable that far in advance so you will have to keep an eye on the forecasts. The south rim is open year round and the roads are paved and well maintained, but yes, you may see snow and the roads face the risk of temporary closure during storms.

Joplin MO

You will also need winter gear if you plan on camping.