Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Roadtrip from Denver, CO to LA, CA

Hello this is my second road trip, the first one was a great experience, thanks for your guide fellow road tripper :D. I am planning a road trip from Denver, CO to LA, CA at the end of this week. I've chosen some interest places to visit but mainly for the Grand Canyon and Las Vegas. And i need some advises about what road to take, if there are any cautions on the road because this is the first time i ever go to a road trip in winter. I would like to spend only 8 to 9 hours driving a day, and look like from Denver to Grand Canyon South Rim take about 12hrs driving non-stop. Is there any particular city to stay for one night before heading to the Grand Canyon? I've heard about Four Corners and i would like to have a stop there, but i really don't know what they got :)). After that i will head to Hoover Dam before get to Las Vegas then head to LA the next day. So that's my plan and i really appreciate the help. Thank you guys, have a wonderful Halloween! :D

You didn't say what routes you are taking, but it sounds like you might be heading down I-25 to Albuquerque, then I-40 over to the Grand Canyon, or perhaps taking a "short cut" through the Four Corners area.

Four Corners is kind of kitschy, but it's worth doing. It's the only place in the US where 4 states meet and you can have one limb in each state if you're agile enough. If you're planning to take US 160 over the Wolf Creek Pass, though, I would definitely consult the CoDOT and a weather map before deciding to take that route. If it's snowed under, you could always cancel Four Corners for this trip and catch it another time. As far as an overnight is concerned, Cameron is probably your best bet unless you stay in Durango and then do the Durango-Four Corners-Grand Canyon trip on the 2nd day.

If you go down to I-40, good places to stay would be Gallup (probably 8 hours from Denver) or Holbrook AZ (another hour or so down the freeway). It's then about 2-1/2 hours from Holbrook to the Grand Canyon.

Las Vegas to LA is a really busy freeway, but usually takes about 5-6 hours.

Donna

The 4 corners could be worth it if the idea of standing in 4 states at once really appeals to you, but its pretty much the definition of a tacky tourist trap. That doesn't make it bad by itself, but you have to enjoy that kind of thing for it to be worthwhile.

In my mind there are so many more things to see in that area that 4 corners would barely even cross my mind. Arches, Canyonlands, Natural Bridges, Mesa Verde, Monument Valley, the Million Dollar Highway, would be things that would be a starting point for things you could do on this drive.

Personally speaking I would head along I70 to Moab [Arches/Canyonlands NP] for day 1 and then head through Monument valley to GC next day before continuing to Vegas and LA. Some 'things' along the way would include a detour over the continental divide at Loveland pass [weather permitting] located on US 6 through Keystone and Dillon. It's quite spectacular at the top, which is at almost 12000ft. Just past Grand junction is Colorado National Monument, although that would make the time tight, and to get to Moab use US 6 and UT128 through Castle valley. To start with you will think 'Why'?, but when you get among the red rocks and follow the path beside river, you will soon discover why.

Next day you could drive into Arches NP early and then head for Monument valley and head into the South rim of the Grand canyon via the east kiosk along Desert view drive[64]. If you visit both Arches and Monument valley, you could consider stopping at the Cameron trading post so that you don't miss the viewpoints along Desert view after dark.

From the Grand canyon you could detour onto part of original route 66 through Seligman to Kingman and then onto Hoover dam. From Vegas you could detour into the Mojave National preserve on route to LA.

Thanks guys, i'm sorry, i was too busy the last few weeks therefor i didn't had the time to check on your's advice. I was thinking about going to New Mexico for a while i heard a lot of interesting stories about it. I wonder where is the hole that a comet or somethings hit the Earth and make a huge hole, and they allow tourist to climb down to see?? I don't know what it call and where is it? My family want to see that so maybe i will take the I-25 S to New Mexico then stay there 1 day then going to Grand Canyon and Vegas then L.A???

Are you thinking of Meteor Crater? That's in Arizona not too far off I-40.

Oh yeah, that the one. So in order to pass by there you guys have any suggestions?

The crater is located between Winslow and Flagstaff off of I40. If Four corners is on your 'to do' list you could head south on 191 where you will find Canyon De Chelley to I40. As you can tell by now there are thousands of options so you need to get some dots on the map based on your interests. Yes you could go down I25 into New Mexico but I personally would head for Poncha Springs and along US50 through the Currecanti Rec area and past Black canyon to Montrose and through the mountain towns of Ouray and Silverton on the 'Million dollar Highway' [US550] to Durango.

Once you have decided upon your route we can help to 'fine tune' it.

Hi guys, i would like to take I-70 to Grand Canyon so i wonder how bad the weather at Vail Pass is? My car is a front-wheel drive but i do not have much experiences driving up and down the mountains?

Default its what its built for

The interstates are designed to be used year round by semi-trucks, so getting up I-70 in a front wheel drive vehicle is a piece of cake most of the time. Obviously there are storms that create difficult conditions, and occationally require the road to be closed, but in those cases, world class plow crews will be out asap to get the roads cleared again for the thosuands of people, and millions of dollars in frieght that require the roads to be clean and dry.