1. Default 2 month summer trip from Pa. to western states and back

We would like to see the western states and anything in between. We would be starting from North central Pa. We are not tied to an exact schedule, but would like to stay 6 to 8 weeks on the trip. We will travel with a 24ft motor home with tag (jeep). Since we have never done any amount of long distance traveling, we need help with what states to visit and what would be interesting to see. We are country folks and do not want to see sites in cities . If anyone could give us some suggestions, we would really appreciate it. We would like to take this trip this next summer (2012).

Tucson, AZ

Default One of an Infinite Number

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

When most people on the east coast talk about seeing 'the west', what they really mean is the Pacific Ocean and the great National Parks that highlight the great open spaces and natural wonders of the Rockies and Red Rock Country. Therefore, just to get you started, a general route would take you out through the Midwest on roads like US-6, US-30, and US-24 that thread there way in between the big cities and put you out on the Great Plains near Clinton, IA and then US-20, US-18, and US-14 across northern Iowa and southern South Dakota to parks such as the Badlands, Mount Rushmore, Wind and Jewel Caves, and Devils Tower. It's then a simple matter to continue westward past the Little Bighorn to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons. From there, you can follow the Snake and Columbia Rivers (and the footsteps of Lewis and Clark) to the Pacific, and then hug the coast south to the giant redwoods of the northern California coast. A bit of a drive down the Central Valley takes you to gold country and Yosemite, and crossing the Sierra Nevada gets you to Death Valley and Las Vegas. Next you should look at crossing southern Utah and seeing Bryce Canyon, and Zion before dropping down into Arizona and the little visited North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Now that you're on your way back east it's time for visits to Mesa Verde and Taos/Santa Fe before cutting southeast through Texas to the Gulf Coast and Cajun country. Your final drive for home would then take you up the Natchez Trace Parkway and perhaps the Blue Ridge Parkway to the Great Smoky Mountains and the Shenandoah Valley.

Anyway, that's one possibility for a 'Grand Tour' of the west. There are unlimited examples of other itineraries, but I think if you start with something like that and the see what else is on that general route that might interest you, you really can't go wrong.

Melbourne, Australia

Default Put it down on paper.

AZBuck has laid out one great option for you, and as he says, there are many, many alternatives.

If this were me, I would be getting a large map of the US, one which shows the National and State Parks and Forests as well as roads and urban centres. A wall sized map is ideal to start laying out a trip. It will have many versions between now and next summer. Such is the nature of planning a roadtrip. Furthermore, I would go to the AAA, get their maps of each State, to see what it has to offer in more detail.

With those tools, and a good six months to plan, you should be able to design a trip to your liking, which will be uniquely yours. As questions come up, feel free to come back and ask. There is always someone here to help.

Enjoy the planning.

p.s. I could easily spend 6 - 8 weeks just exploring PA - one of my favourite States.