Default Wedding Help!!!! - Road Trip from New York to Los Angeles

Hello

I am from the UK and am planning a wedding for June next year.

Our aim is for 4 of us (Me & my bride to be, her sisiter and my best man) to fly to New York, Rent a Car and drive through the States to Las Vegas. Here we are planning a Grand Canyon Wedding which includes helicopter ride etc.

I am getting together as much information to see how realistic this could be.

I have planned a journey which would take me through:
    New York
    Detroit
    Chicago
    Memphis
    Las Vegas
    Los Angeles

I believe this would be about 3500 miles in total over a 3 week period. If you think i should pick a different route then please let me know, but i wanted to see abit of northern and southern culture.

Now what is difficult for me is finding a company to rent a car. I am trying to calculate how much money i would need in total. (Petrol and prices of motels etc)

Any Help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Welcome!

A very rough figure to use is 20 cents a mile for petrol - unless you rent something huge with a big engine it should be less. Motel rooms, depending on where and what quality, can be from $50 to $100+ a night per room, up to 4 people allowed to stay in a room. Rates are generally higher in cities, lower out in the country. We have a reservation service here to check rates, another choice would be a site in your country - carhire3000.com.

Default It All Adds Up

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

You can always find someone to rent you a car. If not, just click on the 'Reservations' button above and then check 'Car Rental'. I suspect that where you're having a problem is finding someone to rent you a car for a 'reasonable' price. I also suspect, given your circumstances, that you are under 25 and are faced with the two major extra fees in the car rental business: the underage fee and the one-way drop off fee. The underage fee is typically $25/day/person so it quickly adds up, particularly if you have multiple drivers. Sometimes you can get a deal if the drivers are immediately family, but in your case the only two drivers who will be 'related' at the time you get your care are your fiancée and her sister. Then there's the fee for picking up your car in New York and leaving it in Los Angeles. That will run you another $200-300. Our European friends can sometimes find better deals by dealing with a European consolidator, a company there that arranges rentals and has some buying power behind it and that's what I would suggest that you look into.

As far as your route goes, I'm really not sure why you are including Detroit and Chicago. I think you would be better off, and still meet your goal of seeing a bit of multiple lifestyles, by heading south through Philadelphia and New York, following the Appalachians for a while and then turning west.

As far as other costs go, I generally use a rule-of-thumb of $150/day for a couple traveling together for room and board. Since you've got two couples, that would be $300/day maybe a bit less. Petrol costs will depend on both what sort of vehicle you end up renting, the cost per gallon at the time you are driving, and the exact route you end up taking, but a rough figure would be around $550.

AZBuck

4. Default Thanks people

Thanks for the prompt response.

I have thought about this abit more, I might completely miss out new york, Detroit and Chicago and start from florida as I would be able to chill out for a few days in miami before the long journey.

I will visit new York another time when I can spend longer there rather to just see a glimpse.

So Miami, to New Orleans, to Austin Texas. then up to maybe colarado and over to las Vegas and Los Angeles.

What do you think?

Thanks again for your estimates on costing, that is very helpful

Default Not Really the Problem

If you want to start from Miami, that's fine, but it would only cut about 200 miles off a 3000 mile trip so doing so will not save you very much. And then adding Colorado probably just puts those miles back on anyway. Then you'll completely miss out on the historic and vibrant cities of the Northeast, and the Appalachian Mountains in their entirety. The fact is that this is a huge country and even 3 weeks is only enough time to scratch the surface, so decide what you really want to see and then drop the rest.

AZBuck

6. Default Any helpful information

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.bilton View Post
    Hello

I am from the UK and am planning a wedding for June next year.

Our aim is for 4 of us (Me & my bride to be, her sisiter and my best man) to fly to New York, Rent a Car and drive through the States to Las Vegas. Here we are planning a Grand Canyon Wedding which includes helicopter ride etc.

I am getting together as much information to see how realistic this could be.

I have planned a journey which would take me through:
    New York
    Detroit
    Chicago
    Memphis
    Las Vegas
    Los Angeles

I believe this would be about 3500 miles in total over a 3 week period. If you think i should pick a different route then please let me know, but i wanted to see abit of northern and southern culture.

Now what is difficult for me is finding a company to rent a car. I am trying to calculate how much money i would need in total. (Petrol and prices of motels etc)

Any Help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Hi Andrew

Myself and my wife to be are planning the same trip for our wedding, we are hiring an RV though, could you please give me any helpful information regarding your trip , how did you find the drive, did you feel rushed, many thanks..

Regards

Liam

Default It is an old thread.

Hi Liam, and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials.

You have responded to a decade old thread. Andrew has not been back on the forum for quite some years, so I doubbt you'll hear from him. Unfortunately, neither did he write us a field report to tell us how his trip went.

If you'd like to start your own thread for your trip, feel free to do so, and ask any question you have to help make your trip a success.

Lifey