Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Best time to leave out of L.A. for trip to Dallas? Travel tips...?

Hi all,

I will be departing L.A. for Dallas in the next week or so. My question is: when is the best day and/or time to leave L.A.? Since I am fairly flexible I can leave either on a weekday or weekend. My first choice would have been the weekend but in planning my itinerary, I see that my choice of hotels on the weekend will be limited due to inavailability. So is it really so bad to leave L.A. on a weekday?

Also, since I'm here - this will be my first trip traveling alone with my cat. Any tips or things I should be aware of as a female traveling alone? I plan to travel the northerly route along I40.

Thanks!

Welcome!

I would seriously consider taking I-10 and I-20 instead of I-40. The distance is just about the same, and it's Interstates all the way. I would plan on taking 3 days for the trip, it's too far for safely doing it in just 2 days.

I'd try to get out of LA before the morning rush, probably around 5am, if you do it during the week.

3. Default

I am curious as to what your preferences are for the southerly route of I10/I20? I have made that route before and I personally do not like going through El Paso (too close to Juarez). Also, as I seem to recall, that particular part of Texas seems rather desolate between El Paso and Dallas.

As I am researching which route to take, I am finding that it seems to be a matter of personal preference since weather is not yet an issue for staying off I40.

Thanks!

Being close to Juarez really is not a reason to avoid I-10. While Juarez is certainly one of the most violent and dangerous cities in the world, the problems have not spread north of the border. In fact, El Paso has ranked as among the safest cities in the US.

I would say that the advantage of I-10 would be that it is all interstate, as opposed to going I-40 which involves a long stretch of US-287, which is a good highway, but it is not a freeway and it requires some stop and go traffic through towns. It also would be less likely to see weather problems, as we really are getting to the point where seeing snow in the upper elevations of I-40 would not be out of the question.

Having said that, I do agree with you that it still is mostly a personal preference, and taking I-40 isn't a bad choice. I-40 does have the advantage of avoiding the Phoenix/Tucson corridor which can see a lot of traffic.

Default Solo female traveller

Quote Originally Posted by Lily the Loner View Post
    Any tips or things I should be aware of as a female traveling alone?
    As a solo female traveller, just practice all the normal cautions and safety you do at home. It has always stood me in good stead. Follow your gut feelings. If a place does not feel good, leave... There are some places I will not go, just because I do not feel comfortable. Often has little to do with the place, and much more with personal comfort.

You are your best judge!

One tip I would give is joining a roadside service organisation, such as AAA. It is a small insurance you hope you will not need. But a great source of comfort at a time of need.

Lifey
    Last edited by Lifemagician; 10-18-2011 at 03:17 PM.

Just as a thought or two...two chains accept pets in all their facilities--Motel 6 and Red Roof Inn....please take extra care since the pet is a cat....so far as a female traveling alone, I would definitely stick to the chain motels in sure a more safe stay....

count on three days to make the trip...and I think you will find that staying off I-40 is a good idea...this coming weekend there is a chance of snow around Flagstaff and Albuquerque...

Have a safe trip and enjoy the scenery along the way

Default A few more tips

Turns out that the ratio of solo women to solo men travelers is nearly 3 to 1. Here are some tips.

Mark

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    Follow your gut feelings. If a place does not feel good, leave... There are some places I will not go, just because I do not feel comfortable. Often has little to do with the place, and much more with personal comfort.

Lifey
    While I do appreciate all of the excellent tips given, I especially relate to Lifey's tips on following my gut instincts. I arrived in L.A. with my son about three months ago via I40 so it is the route I am currently most familiar with. However, I will keep tabs on weather in Arizona and New Mexico prior to my departure just in case I need to reconsider my route.

It has been many years since I was last in L.A. but I think I know the answer to my question regarding best time to leave and I was just hoping someone could point something out to me that I didn't already know.

I do have membership to AAA since realistically I know I could not change a tire if need be! But with all the tips here, I can be even more prepared and well informed.

Perhaps this really is about my own level of comfort and while I would have jumped on the opportunity for a road trip when I was younger, maybe I am being a bit over-cautious now that I am a bit older.

Lil

Another Southern Californian chiming in here about when to leave L.A. My advice is EARLY. Three a.m. would be good if you can, the first day. You can then get into your first overnight hotel early enough to take a nap and then leave at a more normal time the next day.

When we leave San Diego and have to go through L.A., Riverside or San Bernardino counties, we leave at about 1 am or 2 am.

Donna

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    Another Southern Californian chiming in here about when to leave L.A. My advice is EARLY. Three a.m. would be good if you can, the first day. You can then get into your first overnight hotel early enough to take a nap and then leave at a more normal time the next day.

When we leave San Diego and have to go through L.A., Riverside or San Bernardino counties, we leave at about 1 am or 2 am.

Donna
    WOW! That is early Donna, earlier than I would have ever thought. Does it make a difference as to leaving on a Saturday or Sunday as opposed to leaving on any weekday?

I'll be leaving out of Torrance so will be traveling across many freeways just to get to I40. I guess thats why some folks have recommended I take I10.

Lil