1. Default California January Trip

Ho folks I am looking for some trip ideas. I will be flying in to Las Vegas on 30th Dec then leaving there on 3rd Jan. Given its Jan I
    have hired a Jeep Cherokee. We will be driving to Palm Desert to visit friends then the real trip starts on the 4th. My wife and I wish to travel north to San Fran for four days and be back to Palm Desert for the 16th Jan. We would like to take in some Nat Parks and also do the coast. So your advice on what to see and do and time/distance scales would be welcome.I appreciate we are going to have a variety of conditions to deal with but coming from Scotland we are hardy and prepared. Many thanks. C576

Default Mountains and coast.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

This area is a much discussed topic on the forums and you will find Lot's of info digging around the forums and looking at the planning resources in the tool bars above. You are right in thinking you could face a variety of conditions and that might mean changing plans as you go, depending on. You will need to stick to the western side of the Sierra Nevada or have to drive all the way up to the Lake Tahoe area and around the mountains. I would say the obvious choice would be to head north inland via Sequoia NP and Yosemite [conditions permitting] and from SF head south down the coast around Big Sur towards the Cambria area where you could continue towards LA or cut inland and around the urban sprawl of LA, depending on your tastes and time remaining. By heading south along the coast, the Ocean pull outs will be on your side of the road. You should be able to make a nice relaxed trip with 4 days either side of SF.

From Vegas you could make a day of it and head through the Mojave NP [Preserve] and Joshua tree NP.

Any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

3. Default

Thanks DAVE, yeh we are now reviewing our plans. We may head north and miss the parks,visiting them another time. This would give us more time in SF and the trip down the coast.
    Going back to your comment re Mojave NP etc. How does this sound. Leave Las Vegas on the I15 entering Mojave PK via Cima Rd continuing down to Kelso. Then heading south on Kelbaker rd to the 66 heading for Amboy. Onto Amboy rd down to the 62 round to the I10 reaching Palm Desert

Leave Las Vegas on the I15 entering Mojave PK via Cima Rd continuing down to Kelso. Then heading south on Kelbaker rd to the 66 heading for Amboy. Onto Amboy rd down to the 62 round to the I10 reaching Palm Desert
    If you have time, instead of taking 62 why not go through Joshua Tree NP to I-10?

Default Sounds good.

Sounds like a plan !!

The route you have laid out is roughly what I had in mind. TBH, I'm not sure if Cima road offers any more [or less] in the way of scenery, but it will add about 20 mins in journey time compare to Nipton/Ivanpah/Morning Star mine road. Here's an RTA article on Mojave.

On CA62 at Twenty Nine palms, you could drive through Joshua tree NP down to I10 and to Palm Desert. Although you should allow an extra couple of hours for the detour and a little sight seeing.

6. Default palm desrt to San Fran

Can you suggest a route north to San Fran where we can take in some scenes and look at breaking the journey with an overnight stop.
    Cheers Kurt

Default If possible.........

I would still consider visiting Yosemite NP using CA99 and CA41, but be aware of the conditions prior to leaving. I have never been in December/January, but the valley with a dusting of snow with hardly any people just looks so surreal and is something I would love to experience. Take a look here.

8. Default

Thanks Dave, had a look at the Yosemite site, not good there is a you tube film which states that if you dont have snow chains you will be turned back from the park entrance. I think we will remove the risk and break our journey at Fresno then push onto San Fran with some extra time there before heading down the coast.

Chains are required to visit Yosemite in winter, but that's not a reason to skip the park. You can rent or buy them from several locations in the towns that surround Yosemite, like Oakhurst and Mariposa. And its a requirement to carry the chains, you don't need to use them unless the weather requires it.

Yosemite in winter is a pretty amazing place.