Default Dallas, New York, and Davenport in six weeks

My daughter and I are planning a trip to visit schools in Dallas, New York City and Davenport Iowa this July. I was hoping someone would have some ideas on the best routes and things to see. I haven't been to these parts of the US other than NYC and was hoping to see as much as possible.
    I would really appreciate any input:)
    Melissa

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

There really is no such thing as a generic "best route" and when you are talking about a 6 week trip, your options are nearly endless. You could literally see anything in the entire US with that amount of time, and all we've got to work with to help you is 3 cities.

Out of curiosity, which Davenport school are you looking at? The Quad Cities are a nice place to visit, but so dramatically different from cities like New York and Dallas that it is an unexpected stop based on your other two destinations.

Beyond that, you really just need to do your homework and start reading up on the US and all the places you might be interested in. This website has lots of ideas, and I'd make sure to spend some time looking over a good map which will provide even more ideas. Once you've got a few more points on your map, and at least a general outline of where you want to go and how you want to divide up your time, then we can help you put everything together and fill in the gaps.

Default Where in Canada?

Hi Melissa, Whereabouts in Canada will you be starting? That could have a great influence on which route to choose for your trip. Other than that, I would follow Michael's advice, and lay a route out on a large map. You should be able to pick up one at CAA, if you are a member. If you are not a member, it may be wise to join before you go on the trip. When you want to know more about any area, pop into the map centre on the green bar above, and zoom in to see what attractions there are.

When you have more of an idea of a route, come back with any questions, tell us where you will be starting and what your and your daughter's interests are. Someone will be here to help you.

Enjoy the planning.

Lifey

The fact that there are only 3 cities that we MUST visit is pretty daunting. The school in Davenport is Palmer School of Chiropractic. We are looking at schools for my daughter who is in high school, and I will just be finishing my undergraduate degree and deciding on where to go for my DC. Davenport is definitely a departure from NYU!!

I have always been curious about Georgia and the Carolina's so I think they are a must see. Aside from that we are totally open.
    Two years ago we did the Oregon coast then down to San Diego for a few days. Fantastic trip but the research I had done mostly led us to aquariums and petting Zoo's. The most amazing things we saw were a result of turning down the wrong road, as I'm sure is often the case. This time I would like to see some places that are not necessarily sponsors of the local chamber of commerce;)
    So far the plan is to fly into Dallas or NYC, rent a car and just explore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Welcome to the RTA Forum!

There really is no such thing as a generic "best route" and when you are talking about a 6 week trip, your options are nearly endless. You could literally see anything in the entire US with that amount of time, and all we've got to work with to help you is 3 cities.

Out of curiosity, which Davenport school are you looking at? The Quad Cities are a nice place to visit, but so dramatically different from cities like New York and Dallas that it is an unexpected stop based on your other two destinations.

Beyond that, you really just need to do your homework and start reading up on the US and all the places you might be interested in. This website has lots of ideas, and I'd make sure to spend some time looking over a good map which will provide even more ideas. Once you've got a few more points on your map, and at least a general outline of where you want to go and how you want to divide up your time, then we can help you put everything together and fill in the gaps.

Default Yup! It is so often the unplanned....

Quote Originally Posted by mjmc View Post
    The most amazing things we saw were a result of turning down the wrong road, as I'm sure is often the case.....

... So far the plan is to fly into Dallas or NYC, rent a car and just explore.
    You said it all, in your reply. See if you can just lay out a route, Hitting the States which interest you, and the cities which interest you, without doing too much research.... Then head for the horizon, and explore.

No knowing what gems you may stumble upon; what people you may meet; what sights you may see. Rather than patronise the local chambers of commerce, why not ask the locals... ask them, what they value in their area. Which are the areas where they travel for a picnic, or a day. Just make sure you document all your discoveries, in a journal and with photos.

IMHO the best road trips, are the trips which just happen.

Lifey