Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Denver area E-470 bypass tolls

Hello Fellow Travelers,

In early and late July 2011, I used the E-470 bypass from I-70 east of Denver to I-25 north of that pleasant little burg, outbound at rush hour in early July, and homeward bound (I-25 to I-70) near the end of the month. Prior reading here told me there was a toll system in place for that section of E-470.

While it's entirely possible I missed them, I didn't see any signage stating the amounts of the tolls nor did I see signage indicating a toll collection system was in place and operating. I did see much in the way of ongoing construction of toll booths, so I assumed the tolling would not be under way until the booths were complete. I was wrong.

About 60 days after the second leg of my trip, I got a bill from the E-470 Toll Authority. It correctly bore my truck's NC license plate number, the dates of my traverses, and the segments involved. The toll was $9.00 each way, for a total of $18.00.

I'm an individual with such an intolerance for traffic congestion that I'd have used the highway just as willingly with advance notice of the cost as without, but I've got to say $9.00 each way for a shade under 26 miles of use is a tad rich. If one is an EXpressToll member, a designation apparently separate and apart from national/regional EZPass membership/accounts, the toll is 20% less. There's a procedure to become a member at www.expresstoll.com, but in all honesty, the procedure is a bit clunky and difficult to follow.

I wonder what is out there, on the ground, stating what the toll rates are, or if instead there's nothing, until the bill arrives 50-60 days later. Does anybody recall seeing the toll charge list prior to getting on the highway?

Foy

The signs may not have been up when you went through, but they are now. I went from the DEN airport to I-76 about a year ago, and I don't recall seeing any price signs. I also never received a bill, the toll should have been $3.00.

Good thing you weren't towing a travel trailer - the 4 axle bill would have been $54.00 instead of $18.00!

This brings up a pet peeve - with today's technology, I can't see why all the toll collection authorities that are transponder-based can't all be interoperable, and why they all can't use license plate tolling as an option.

Default More non-interoperable transponders coming soon

glc,

If those signs were up in July, I sure missed them. "Course I had a major hand full of steering wheel on the way out, with a severe T-storm blowing outflow winds at 40-50 mph, flash flooding, and much hail. I'd have probably missed a drive-in movie screen unless it was straddling the highway. However, it looks as though one would have to enter the toll road before learning what the toll is, with no way to determine in advance what the toll would amount to between I-70 and I-25N, which is more than a little shady to begin with.

Back here at home, we're getting a new toll road--a segment of the Outer Loop around Raleigh, where it's I-540 (no toll) in the east and north quadrants, and NC 540 (toll) on the west and south quadrants. We'll have an "NC Quickpass" transponder, available for free, which provides a 35% discount from the license plate photo billed method. To my understanding, our transponders and the accounts they draw from are useless outside of NC.

Our various states' DOTs: "Bringing you yesterday's technology next week"

Foy

Default Non-interoperable transponders?

Quote Originally Posted by Foy View Post
    Our various states' DOTs: "Bringing you yesterday's technology next week"
    Why should every transponder not be able to be used, everywhere? My experience is limited to Melbourne and Sydney. When years ago, Sydney first went that way, getting rid of cash booths, there was an outcry that the transponders were not compatible with Melbourne (where there have never been cash booths). It did not take long for that to be remedied. (I do not know if other cities have toll roads here.)

The only signage along the road is a warning that a toll road is ahead, and that there will not be any cash booths. Nowhere does it say how much the toll will be. Payment is by transponder or account only. Then it gives a country local wide phone number which can be called up to three days after travelling, to pay the toll. If this is not done, a $100 fine applies.

My daughter takes the tollway to work. The 18 or so kms take her under 6 or 7 gantries, and the toll is just over $10 each way. I question very much if it saves her that much in fuel.

Mind you, I just love the fact that I can now drive from Boston or NJ to St Paul, using the one transponder. Last time it was only in Ohio I still had to pay cash. Soon after my trip they went over to the transponder.

Lifey

Default There's no telling why that is.........

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    Why should every transponder not be able to be used, everywhere?

Mind you, I just love the fact that I can now drive from Boston or NJ to St Paul, using the one transponder. Last time it was only in Ohio I still had to pay cash. Soon after my trip they went over to the transponder.

Lifey
    Well, the individual states cling tightly to the notion that they're separate and distinct entities, and on the whole, that's probably good. There's probably some "wasn't invented here" and some "super saver sales pitches" by the vendors of the equipment and software for a state to purchase their systems as opposed to some other one. Lastly, I imagine the technology advances rapidly as does all technology, so there's the distinct possibility the EZPass equipment is getting antiquated and it is therefore not feasible, long-term, for a state entering the toll road business to adopt it.

Then there's always "GOK". God Only Knows.

Foy

Default Update and correction concerning the NC toll road/transponder program

I was happy to read this morning that the NC DOT is offering two kinds of transponders: a $5 unit good for only our in-state toll roads, which today consists solely of a short stretch of the NC 540 Outer Loop, and a $20 unit which will be good for the Northeastern US corridor now under the EZ Pass system as well as the Florida Sunpass system. The "will be good for" refers to an integration of the hardware and software systems scheduled for some time in 2012.

Foy

Hmm - I have an Illinois "I-Pass" which is compatible with EZ-Pass - I wonder if it will be compatible with your system and the Florida system?

If that had been me, Foy, I would have done the following:

1) I would write a long letter, stating that there were no posted signage, etc., that were visible to you. If this is not listed as a toll on a MAP, that would also be something I'd bring up in the letter.

2) I would let them now that $9 for 26 miles is definitely HIGH (unless you had more than the standard 2 axle vehicle). Compare it with other states' tolls. If it were ME, I'd definitely work in the words "Highway Robbery". But that's ME.

3) I would then write a check, and then fold it up very small, staple it to the letter with the words Check----> next to it, and then mail it.

That's what I did one time when I got an obnoxious, uncalled for parking ticket in downtown San Diego. We were walking up to our car as the meter flipped over to "expire". The meter maid had been sitting there WAITING for the meter to flip over to expire. She would NOT rip up the ticket though we weren't even a MINUTE late! So when I got the ticket, I wrote a letter, wrote the check, folded it up tiny, stapled it to the letter. Boy, did I get an apology letter back from the City of San Diego! But needless to say, we have never parked in downtown San Diego since then ... and that was 20 years ago.

Donna

Donna, that is how I go about issues which I judge to be unreasonable and / or unjust, with various degrees of success.

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    That's what I did one time when I got an obnoxious, uncalled for parking ticket in downtown San Diego. We were walking up to our car as the meter flipped over to "expire". The meter maid had been sitting there WAITING for the meter to flip over to expire. She would NOT rip up the ticket though we weren't even a MINUTE late! So when I got the ticket, I wrote a letter, wrote the check, folded it up tiny, stapled it to the letter. Boy, did I get an apology letter back from the City of San Diego!
    I recall well, having got a parking ticket relating to a 'no standing zone', where I had not even stopped. I pulled close to see what the sign said, and the parking officer was standing there, took my number (he assumed I was going to park), was not able to place the ticket on my car, since I had moved on (and it seems by law is not required to), and put it in the mail. After much protest I paid the almost $100 in one cent pieces! I put them in the mail!

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    But needless to say, we have never parked in downtown San Diego since then ... and that was 20 years ago.
    So, in the end, it had the desired affect.

Lifey

There is no signage indicating the price of E470 before you get on it. However there are signs at every toll collection plaza indicating the price at that spot. And there are signs saying that you are entering a toll road before you are committed.

Current collection method is via transponder (you get a discount for having one) and via license plate billing. They take a picture of your plate and send the bill to the registered owner. I don't know how rental car is handled but it surely is. They used to have human change collectors before the photo-license mechanism.

Cost of driving end -to-end is pretty high but considering the rock hits and near misses I've had by going up the middle (I-25 N-S), it's worth it to me anytime between 0600 and 2200.