1. Default Boston-Los Angeles in February

We are planning a trip from Boston to Los Angeles adn thinking of renting a RV for the trip. The main question I have is with teh RV being winterized we will need to rely on truck stops and campgrounds for showers. I know most if not all campgrounds are closed because its winter, does anyone know how good/bad teh truck stops are?? And the frequency of them?? And is driving an RV in snow easier or harder than a minivan?? These are our main concerns. Thanks to anyone that can help!!!

Default Why?

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Given that you have concerns about all the 'positives' associated with RV travel, I just don't understand why you'd go to the extra expense and hassle to rent one for this trip. Yes, I suppose you can find a place to park it each night, and yes, I suppose you can find somewhere to take a shower each day (for a price), and yes, you can manage to get through bad weather if you drive slowly enough and take some time to learn how to handle your ungainly beast. But why? Why not just get a good-handling front-wheel drive sedan, and stay in a comfortable heated motel room each night, AND save money?

AZBuck

3. Default

Wouldn't we save money by renting the RV? Because we won't have the cost of all the hotel stays?? And save money for the food costs because we can cook ourselves rather than eating out every night?? I do agree with driving the BEAST through bad weather will be very challenging and very frightening as I live in californina and we do not get that weather here. We are just trying to see if an RV is a better option or we will rent a minivan instead.

Default Car + Motel will be 2/3 to 1/2 the cost of the RV option

Quote Originally Posted by WOWSERS View Post
    Wouldn't we save money by renting the RV? Because we won't have the cost of all the hotel stays?? And save money for the food costs because we can cook ourselves rather than eating out every night??
    Yes, you will save on those aspects of the trip, but fuel costs will be higher and you need to plan to spend at least $35 per night for any of the RV parks that are open. Most rental RVs are not winterized and poorly insulated and you'll burn through the propane tanks at least 4-5 times trying to keep the vehicle warm enough in February. There are dozens of modern travel centers along your likely route (truck stops).
    We are just trying to see if an RV is a better option or we will rent a minivan instead.
    That's an easy choice -- I don't know how fast you need to cross the country, but if you're driving every day of your trip, the net cost to rent a RV versus the net cost to rent a car and stay in motels will be 50% to 65% more in a RV as compared to a car.

Mark

How many adults and how many children are making this trip? How many days are you planning on taking, and what kind of sightseeing do you want to do?

An RV'er here (though we're "tween" RV's at the moment): If this were me, I would save the RV rental idea for a summer trip and take a car on this one. There are too many "downs" for an RV to be a pleasure on a February trip, most of which have been outlined by previous responders.

I do "hear" you, though, about the costs of motels and eating out. Between RV's like we are, I've found that I don't mind staying in a hotel every night, as long as we shop carefully. Of course, our type of trip means we're staying with family quite a bit, too. Where I get bogged down, is the eating-out-every-night bit. Here's how we combat that:

DON'T eat at a chain restaurant every night. Two or three weeks of Denny's, Coco's, Carrows, Mimi's, McDonald's, Burger King, etc, gets you tired of eating out very quickly...not to mention, makes you gain weight!!!! Instead, ASK at the hotel what's a good localized restaurant, something that's either not a chain at all or maybe it's just local. Most of the time, you'll be pointed in the direction of something that's pretty good.

CARRY A COOLER AND SNACK BAG full of your favorite drinks and things you can eat in the car. Fruit and cheese are two good ideas for a cooler. For us, we eat a good breakfast somewhere (most hotels have continental breakfasts, some with hot foods available, these days) and then we use the cooler and snack bag instead of a fast-food lunch.

There are more money-saving ideas in the forum, Saving Money on the Road.

Donna

7. Default

Thank you everyone for the feedback. It really helps. And GLC ther are 3 adults, 0 children. We are planning on taking 15 days and sightseeing, we only have a couple of must sees along the way, so sightseeing will be more determined along the way!!.

With only 3 adults (2 sleeping in the same bed) hotel rooms are not very costly.

I don't even think you would need a minivan - a standard full size 4 door sedan should have plenty of room.