Default Virginia Must See's and Back Roads

Hi Everyone, We are going to be leaving Mt. Airy, NC tomorrow and heading back to MN via Virginia and (possibly PA). We want to see some historic spots and some more of the Blue Ridge Parkway but we would also like to find some interesting twisty/turny back roads and out of the way (maybe a little weird) sites as well. We have 1 to 2 weeks to make the trek and like the laid back, quant town, back road scenes. Any ideas for some interesting drives or stops would be very much appreciated! Thanks so much! Happy travels!

I should mention that we are driving an off road equipped 4 wheel drive pick up so don't be afraid to really get "creative"! Thanks again!!!!!!

Southern California

When we were back east this past summer, we drove the 105 miles of Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park. We found it to be absolutely beautiful, so green, and worth the 5 hours it took us to traverse the drive. Perhaps by now the leaves are starting to change!

Most of the services in the park appear to be open until November 6th, with one lodge (Skyland Resort) open until just after Thanksgiving.

Gettysburg PA may be along your route, if you're interested in history.

Tucson, AZ

Default Backbones and Sidetrips

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The way I build the kind of trip you describe is to look for some major routes (the 'backbones') that will allow me to cover some significant miles while still being scenic and getting me to some interesting places, and then take local roads (the 'sidetrips') as they strike my fancy. In your case, your backbones will be the Blue Ridge Parkway or, if that is too mainstream a scenic route for you, US-220/US-250/US-219 up through Lexington VA (as 'quaint' a town as you're going to find, Bartow WV (and a sidetrip to Green Bank and the National Radio Observatory, especially if you're a sci-fi movie buff), Frostburg MD (and a recreation of Noah's Ark), and on into Pennsylvania. Than once there, look as US-322/US-224 and associated roads to form the backbone of your continued westward travels.