Default RoadTrip Summer 2012

We are 3 people who are planning a road trip in north America next summer. We were planing to rent a car for 4 weeks and drive from Orlando, Florida to LA, California And back in 3 weeks, then spend the last week in Orlando. We also vant to spend a couple of days in LA and in Las Vegas and one night in New Orleans. And ofcourse, we want to stop on some of the tourist sites like the grand canyon, monumental valley and things like that. We are 3 adults so long hours in the car are no problem.
    The thing I`m wondering though, is this overly ambitious??
    And maybe som hints and tips about other things to see or do.

Thanks from a RoadTrip Virgin:)

Default Recommended Changes

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I do think this is a trip where you are trying to do too much. You could certainly drive from Orlando to LA and back in 3 weeks, and you'd have time to spend a couple days in LA, Vegas, the Grand Canyon, and New Orleans. The problem is that you wouldn't have any time left to do anything else.

Regardless of how many drivers you have, you'd basically be spending 2 of your 3 weeks just driving all day, without time left over for siteseeing. You won't even be able to take dramatically different routes going east and going west, although you could probably focus on I-10 one way and I-40 the other.

This is really a case where you'd be much better off just doing this as a one way trip. It may cost a little more, since you'll have an extra drop fee for the car rental, but instead of having less than 10 days for fun and sightseeing, you'd cut your drive in half, and give you basically a full extra week to see things and have fun.

If a 1 way trip wouldn't work for whatever reason, then I'd look at flying to LA, doing a loop around the southwest, and then flying back to Orlando for your final week.

I'm going to agree with Michael here. From FL to CA is about a 6 day drive (around 500 miles per day, or 10-12 hours). Return, another 6 days. That's 12 days of 21 on the road. One day in New Orleans, one at Monument Valley, one at the Grand Canyon, two at Las Vegas, and there's another 5, leaving you 4 more. Two of those in Los Angeles, maybe 3, and that leaves nothing else.

Donna

Default Thanks.

Thank you for your responses.
    After reading your replies I think we have decided to fly from Norway to LA, drive to Orlando and fly home from there (if that dont add to much to the price), worst case we just fly from Orlando to LA and then home.

We would also be happy if someone could give us som tips about things that are worth visiting, that may not be as "famous", but still worth stopping for.
    And maybe som tips about "must have`s" in the car.

And also I wonder if it`s much cheaper to buy a tent and stay at a campsite than to book motelrooms?

Camping could be a saver. You will probably spend about $200 for a tent and sleeping bags and similar gear if you get relatively cheap stuff at a big box store. Then you'd be looking at $15-30 a night for most places to camp. That compares to $50 or more for most motel rooms, so its something to consider. Note, however, camping will be a big advantage while staying in places like National Parks, but for your time in cities, it could be difficult to find places, and what you do find could involve a rather significant commute.

I think the plan for us is to avoid staying in the larger cities, and try to find small towns with some "pesonality" in stead. Except for LA, Las Vegas and Orlando where we are going to stay more than one night (here we are going to pre book hotelrooms). We intend to plan as little as possible in advance and just see what the trip brings.

When do the summerholiday start? Is it better to travel in May than June maybe??

Memorial Day is the last Monday in May, and that weekend kicks off the summer travel season.

Memorial Day is the traditional start of the summer season, however, in most places, kids are still in school into the first couple weeks of June. That usually makes early June a relatively quiet time to travel. The end of June really starts the peak travel season, which then continues into August.

Thanks.
    Then I guess it's going to be May=)