Thread: California trip

1. Default California trip

Hi there! I'm after a bit of advise with how best to get from grand canyon to Yosemite. We are arriving Las Vegas and spending a couple of nights there before driving to canyon for two further nights. When we leave the canyon we want to travel to Yosemite and Then to SF for a few days before heading down Coastal route to LA. Trying to decide the best way of getting to yosemite without driving all the way. The choices I think we have are to drive to flagstaff and fly to Fresno, but no direct flights so means changing/hanging around a lot. Drive back to LV and get a direct flight to Fresno or drive to Phoenix and get a direct flight from there. Any other options anyone can see that I'm missing .. And do people think the drive to Phoenix is shorter/better for scenery than going back to LV which we would have already done? Any advise welcome!!

Welcome!

The best way really is to drive all the way, keep the car till the end of the trip. Hopping around like that via airlines gets very expensive very quickly, and on short hops like that you really don't save any time due to scheduling and the time spent in the airports checking in, getting through security, and retrieving your luggage at the other end. You also will have to pay a one-way dropoff surcharge on each car rental unless you are returning to where you rented it. You don't have to drive back through LV, you could take I-40 to CA-58 to Bakersfield, then CA-99 to Fresno and CA-41 to Yosemite. This would only require one overnight stop.

You have a great opportunity to see Death Valley on the way if you want to, and you could take US-395 and enter Yosemite via Tioga Pass if it's open.

Default I would drive.

Hi there.

First of all could you please confirm if this is part of the same trip here [?] where you got responses without reply. We prefer to keep all questions about the same trip in one thread even when it takes on a new shape, so that it is easy to follow the full picture and you get the best possible advice.

Your options of getting from the GC area to the Yosemite area are all viable, but in my opinion the best way to get there would be to drive. Not only will you have the opportunity to drive across Death valley, it will save money and hassel of flights and picking up and dropping off different cars, and more so if you were to head back to Vegas in any case.

When you travel could be a concern for which route to take. Across Death valley on 190 and north on 395 and then the Tioga pass [CA120] into Yosemite is a spectacular drive not to be missed if possible. The problem is, if you are travelling in May/June it could still be closed due to winter snow accumulation and this is around the period when it usually opens for the summer, but there is no way of knowing when until it actually happens or shortly before. If it were closed you could head south around the mountains via Bakersfield/Lake Isabella area.

4. Default

Yes, sorry same trip, but quite different now. Thanks for your advice. We've booked flights now and so it's actually beginning to take shape. I was trying to save my other half from doing all the driving as I'm too chicken to drive on the "wrong" side. Nearly killed us both last time I did. I'll pass on your suggestions, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Hi there.

First of all could you please confirm if this is part of the same trip here [?] where you got responses without reply. We prefer to keep all questions about the same trip in one thread even when it takes on a new shape, so that it is easy to follow the full picture and you get the best possible advice.

Your options of getting from the GC area to the Yosemite area are all viable, but in my opinion the best way to get there would be to drive. Not only will you have the opportunity to drive across Death valley, it will save money and hassel of flights and picking up and dropping off different cars, and more so if you were to head back to Vegas in any case.

When you travel could be a concern for which route to take. Across Death valley on 190 and north on 395 and then the Tioga pass [CA120] into Yosemite is a spectacular drive not to be missed if possible. The problem is, if you are travelling in May/June it could still be closed due to winter snow accumulation and this is around the period when it usually opens for the summer, but there is no way of knowing when until it actually happens or shortly before. If it were closed you could head south around the mountains via Bakersfield/Lake Isabella area.