Thread: U Car Share

Default U Car Share

Has anyone used the U Car Share program?

It's a membership program affiliated with U-Haul Rental Company. Membership is $25.00 (no annual fees)

How it's supposed to work:

1. Choose a car and pick-up time. Rates start at $4.95 per hour.

2. Go to the location of the car -- enter a access code on the door keypad (unique code for each member)

3. Keys are inside the vehicle.

4. Drive around -- do errands, etc. Drive car back to the original location. Park -- sign out. Apparently only charged for the time actually used...

5. Rates include insurance, roadside assistance and gas

I looked at some of the locations -- Sorta of a interesting option.

Now looking for reviews!

Mark

I haven't heard of this specific one, but there are some others like Zipcar that basically offer the same type of service.

Seems like they are typically aimed at college students, as an option for short trips around town. Its a good price if you just need it for an hour or two, but even to have it for a day starts being more than a typical rental company. I don't think they'd be practical for a long term roadtrip, but if you were using public transit to get from city to city, its something worth looking at to get around town.

Zipcar is primarily oriented toward urban residents who don't own a car and usually use public transportation.

I have friends who moved to downtown Chicago and found out that the waiting list for parking at their condo was about 7 years. They sold their car and bought CTA and Metra passes. Between those and taxis, they are able to satisfy 95% of their needs. However, there are times when they need a car - and there's a Zipcar lot within walking distance.

Financially, they found that all this is cheaper than the parking, upkeep, and other costs of owning a car in the city.

Default And this woks how?

Actually, I'd be curious to know how they can make a profit at only $5/hr. That would only buy 1½ gallons of gas (being generous) and anyone can easily drive 30 miles in an hour, even in an urban setting. Then there's the depreciation, title and registration, insurance, overhead, etc. I just don't see the business model.

AZBuck

Default 20+ year track history in Europe

Buck,

I'm not really sure, nor do I see how and why these cars wouldn't be easy to steal... But similar programs have been successful for the last two decades (at least) in Europe. And I can tell you that Megan really likes the concept -- but still I have my doubts.

Mark

Default Here's one such review

I've not spent any time vetting this review, but here's someone who used it in Salt Lake City.

Here's another version based in San Francisco -- and the reviews would indicate there are lots of problems!

CarSharing.net provides the following information:
    As of January 1, 2011 - based on data provided by Susan Shaheen, University of California, Berkeley - 27 U.S. carsharing programs claimed 518,520 members sharing 7,776 vehicles; and 85,439 members shared 2,342 vehicles among 17 carsharing organizations in Canada.

Default Here too - goGet.

It is only recently that I have become aware of a similar system here (in the Eastern States) though from what I read, it has been going since 2003. The fact that I had not heard of it, even in the days when I was driving taxis, is an indication of how widespread and wellknown it is...... NOT!

When I read it, it struck me more like a rental company. The terms here are $500 security deposit; $29 monthly membership (for frequent users, i.e. more than 7 hrs/mth), plus $5.65/hr and $0.39/km. There is also an option for a day rate. $68 includes 150 free km.

The article which I read was about their recent application to the local authorities to be granted free designated on-street and off-street parking. Somehow, I don't think that's gonna happen. Only in Sydney are they somewhat used, and that appears to be because initially, the Sydney Lord Mayor granted free parking. Seems that there is now a rethink.

Lifey