1. Default Trip from Denver to Glacier National Park

My husband and I are planning a trip September 2012, flying into Denver and renting a car. We only have 2 weeks to travel. We would like to visit the following parks: Rocky Mountain, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Glacier and whatever else there is time for. Is this realistic to do in only 2 weeks? Should we fly into Denver or Salt Lake City to visit these parks...any advice would be greatly appreciated.

South of England.

Default Comfortably.

Hello and welcome to RTA !

As RMNP is on your itinerary, Denver would be a good place to start from, unless you plan on visiting SLC and then it wouldn't really matter. You could check on flight and car rental costs combined into each city and decide from there.

Two weeks is a nice amount of time for the trip as the mileage could be covered in 4 long days leaving you a nice amount of time in the parks. September is a great time to travel, but winter can come early in the northern Rockies, so I would plan on early September. You might even want to head to Glacier NP first and then work your way back, visiting RMNP last and having a short drive back to Denver.

Have a look around the forums and trip planning pages in the tool bars above where you will find much info. You will find other attractions that would be possible to add, or you might want to keep at a relaxed pace and enjoy these wonderful NP's. For details on the NP's go to where you can get all the visitor info you need. As and when you have new questions, just ask and we will be happy to help fill in any blanks.

3. Default

Thanks so much for the quick reply!! We already have reservations in Yellowstone for Sept. 10-12. Our travel dates will most likely be Sept 7-21 or 23. So, it probably makes sense to start our trip in Denver, don't you think?

Green County, Wisconsin

One big thing you'll need to keep in mind is that Glacier's Going to the Sun Road will close in mid-September. This year the date was Sept. 18, but I don't know what it will be for 2012. Unlike the opening date which depends on weather, The early closing date is mostly because of a long-term construction project, so I'd guess they'll announce next year's closing date in the spring.

The big thing is that you'll probably want to do Glacier at or near the very beginning of your trip, and that might mean pushing Yellowstone back a couple days.

Denver would be ok, although if a one-way trip is in the budget, you might look at flying into Seattle and leaving from Denver. Otherwise, I'd compare the prices of Denver vs. Salt Lake City, and go with the one that's most affordable.

South of England.

Default Yep.

As I mentioned previously, if you have no desire to visit SLC, then Yes I do as RMNP is close by.

If you arrive on the 7th and left on the 8th, that would give you a couple of days to get to Yellowstone, perhaps via the Tetons and then on to Glacier NP and back to RMNP. The 'Going to the sun' road running through the heart of Glacier can be closed from mid Sept. You could arrive on the 13/14th and that should be early enough, [weather permitting] to drive the GTTSR. You could head east towards Billings and down through Casper, or head further east towards Custer [state park] and Mt Rushmore before heading South and towards Estes park. Estes park is near to a lot of trailheads along the Bear lake road and a good location. If it is till open you could drive over the spectacular Trail ridge road to Grand lake, possibly continuing to I70 and back to Denver.

6. Default

Thanks, this is a huge help.

7. Default

Thanks so much...big help!