1. Default Planning a road trip from Miami to Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming

Hoping you all can help me, I'm planning on surprising my husband with a road trip to Yellowstone, we have two weeks for the trip and will like some advise please, on the best places to visit, eat, see and stay inside and outside the park. Also, we would like to stop along the way, any suggestions? any good places between Miami and Yellowstone we should stop, maybe eat, stay a day or so maybe even overnight. Any help will be greatly appreciated it, this will be our anniversary celebration and our first trip together.

Thank you

Melbourne, Australia

Default Take winter into account.

Hi, and Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum.

You do not say when you are planning to take this trip. Since you have posted in the Fall and Winter forum, I take it will be soon. In which case you need to be aware that most, if not all services in Yellowstone will have closed down by the time you get there. Winter can come early in the mountains.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default devils in the details

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

There are a lot of unknowns in your planning, and really so many we can't provide too much in the way of help at this time.

In addition to the time of year, as Lifey mentioned, we don't know how long you have, what sorts of things you might be interested in, and what other places you know you want to visit, etc.

Just taking a look at the basics of your trip, you're looking at a 2500 mile drive each way, so you need to plan on spending at least 5 days getting there, and 5 more coming back.

As far as what to see inside Yellowstone, the nice thing is that most of the most popular features are located along the park loop road, which does a figure 8, connecting the Geyser Basins, Mammoth Hot Springs, many of the waterfalls, Yellowstone Lake, and the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. Of course, neighboring the park, you've also got places like the Grand Tetons, Cody, and the Beartooth Highway. Also keep in mind this is a very big area - bigger than several northeastern states - that takes time to visit. It really is a park where you need a few days just to see the major features, and could spend years if you started digging into the back country.

4. Default

Hi Michael,

We are planning on departing October 9th and returning or departing Yellowstone are on or by October 19th. My husband is a city boy, I on the other hand love the country and nature. We do not have any specific ideas on what to do or see, I just want to drive out Miami and see something completely different. , we just figure we stop along the way whenever we see something interesting or if i was able to get any ideas from the forum as to good places to stop along the way.

Thank you so much for your answer and your ideas. It makes it easier as we never been there and have no idea where to start.

5. Default

Hi Lifey

We are planning on departing October 9th and returning or departing Yellowstone are on or by October 19th. May be we are better off driving to Shenandoah National Park in Virginia, I was told in beautiful, so maybe something to consider, I would hate to drive 2500 miles and find must of the attractions close. Thank you for your answer and help.

Default Even closer to Florida......... Western North Carolina, home to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, the Blue Ridge Parkway, and a host of high mountain attractions.

Be advised mid-October is the apex of leaf season up this way, and for that matter up in the Shenandoah NP in Virginia, so some quick and decisive actions on your part as to reservations may be necessary if you decide to stay east rather than going all the way out to Yellowstone NP.

At 800 miles from Miami, Asheville, NC is one long day and a second short one away from you, as opposed to more like 1,000 to 1,100 to the midpoint of the Shenandoah NP. That would be two full days' drive from south FL.

Western NC and western VA each offer a cornucopia of historical sites, luxury accomodations, natural history, arts, crafts, traditional music, and outdoorsy attractions (hiking, cycling, etc).

Melbourne, Australia

Default Local Information.

That would probably be a sensible decision, to stay a little closer to home. Leave Yellowstone, and all the attractions out west for when you have an opportunity to visit in summer.

One of the bits of advice we often give on here, is to ask the locals. And the advice given above, by a local, sounds great to me. Smokey Mountains and the Parkway are beautiful areas and have much to offer for a surprise holiday trip.

Enjoy the planning.