Default Tulsa to Los Angeles - December

I'm moving to Los Angeles in December from Tulsa, Oklahoma. I've made this drive down I-40 and back about five times, however, it's always been in either April or August. This time I'll be driving alone and in December, nonetheless. I'm worried about weather conditions. I know its impossible to predict snow or ice, but what are the odds? Is it an exception rather than the norm? I'll be driving a 2006 Toyota Corolla that does okay on ice here in Tulsa, but I've never taken it out on the highway or anything in extreme conditions. I'm getting really nervous as I'm a young woman taking the drive alone. Any advice? Tips?

TIA!

Also, are there any alternative routes to take other than I-40 that I could avoid the mountains?

Welcome!

I drive from Joplin to San Diego and back every winter. Plan on taking the usual I-40 route, but keep abreast of conditions. One year, I checked on the conditions when I was in Albuquerque and it was snowing in Flagstaff. I took I-25 to Hatch, then NM-26 to Deming and used I-10 to finish the trip.

Unless the weather is really bad, it's not worth going all the way down to Dallas to pick up I-20 to I-10.

I've been in this same dilemma, back in December 1998, before everybody and his brother had a laptop! We watched The Weather Channel every evening before departing central Missouri heading for San Diego, and then at each hotel. That year, the snow chased us all the way to Flagstaff. We headed south at Flagstaff on I-17, and the day after our arrival in Phoenix, the snow hit Flagstaff BIG time.

If the weather had decided to move in any sooner, I would have headed south at ABQ or even further west, such as Santa Rosa (US 54).

Donna

Thanks so much for the advice! I'm hoping with it being so early in December that the weather shouldn't be too bad. I'm thinking of playing it safe and taking I40 to ABQ and then cutting down I25 and connecting to I-10 and taking that straight to Los Angeles.

Default that might not be "safe"

Its actually a bit of a fools errand to declare in September that you are going to take any route to play it "safe."

The reality is that Southern New Mexico and Arizona also see snow/ice at some points during the winter, and its a typical thing, not a once a decade rarity. By blindly declaring that to be your route, you could end up leaving a perfectly clear route, and end up driving an extra 150 miles straight into a storm! Yes, those areas see less snow than say Flagstaff, but it doesn't matter who sees more or less over the course of a winter, it matters who is seeing better weather when you are on the road.

Really the only way to "play it safe' is to keep a good eye on the forecast during your travels, and stay flexible to wait out a storm, or find a new route to avoid it.