1. Default Detroit to san francisco i80 places to stop and lodging suggestions

Hi all,
    My husband and i are leaving Detroit next week driving to San Francisco. I am trying to figure out where to stay each day and what to see. We will be taking the i80 rte and taking about 7 days. We are hoping to not get bed bugs and would like to stay in moderate to moderate+ hotels or motels. I need HELP please any suggestions. thank you

Default Using the resources.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

With only a small number of regular contributors and tens of thousands of lodging options, we are not strong on Hotel recommendations. Even if some members came forward with suggestions you would really need to check it out with up to date reviews, what was great a few weeks/months ago, could have changed a whole lot by this month. Another thing is that with 7 days you can take it real easy each day and split your trip into equal segments, or alternatively you could have longer days on the road followed by a little time sight seeing and relaxing , so you really need to work out where you might want to stay and what you want to do.

I would suggest you have a look at a good map and use the RTA planning resources to work out what appeals to you and then work out possible overnight stops. The Map centre [that can be found in the green tool bar above by placing your cursor on 'Maps'.] is a great way to find places of interest and when you know what areas you are staying in then you can browse Hotel options using the RTA link to the right of the page.

Once you have some ideas and a few dots on the map I'm sure we will be able to fill in the blanks and answer more specific questions.

Default Thought about I-70?

With seven days to do this trip, have you given any thought to detouring slightly off I-80, and taking I-76 into Denver, and then following I-70 to western Utah? I-70 west of Denver has to be one of the most spectacular and scenic multi lane highways in the country. You could then take I-15 back to I-80 at SLC, or take US 50 (The loneliest road in America) across Nevada. Another memorable drive.

Make sure you pack your camera.

Lifey

We are planning to take I-70 across Utah to meet up with I-15 to Las Vegas. On the map it is marked as I-70, 50, and 6. Is this the US 50, "the loneliest road in America" you are talking about? Why is it the loneliest road??
    Thanks!

Default the 'whys' and 'wherefores'

Quote Originally Posted by Year25 View Post
    We are planning to take I-70 across Utah to meet up with I-15 to Las Vegas. On the map it is marked as I-70, 50, and 6. Is this the US 50, "the loneliest road in America" you are talking about? Why is it the loneliest road??
    Thanks!
    Far it be for me to rationalise why it is called the loneliest road in America. But hey! it caught your attention. That section between Ely and Reno NV. (You are referring to I-70 / 50 / 6 in Utah, not Nevada.)

US 50 is a two lane paved road across Nevada (actually goes almost coast to coast), it traverses the most amazing country through the desert. There are a couple of small towns along the way, fuel availability is limited (but adequate), as is food and lodging. That said, it can be driven in a leisurely day with lots of stops for photos.

Few take this road to enjoy its serenity and stunning landscapes. More's the pity. I saw few vehicles when I drove it, but not so few that I would have been stranded for long if I had been in trouble.

And as no doubt you will see on your map, it will not take you to Las Vegas.

Lifey

Ok, I see the road you are refering to! It must run with I-70 for a bit in Utah. I bet the route through Nevada is a really beautiful drive. Maybe on another trip my husband and I can take that route.

Thanks for your reply...much appreciated!

I-70 west of Denver takes you through the mountains, where there are old mining towns that are now resort towns. You'll pass Vail. It will take you up some nice mountain passes, but on Interstate "terms". This is gorgeous scenery, especially if your weather is nice and sunny. The Eisenhower Tunnel is an engineering wonder and fun to go through.

There's also Glenwood Canyon, where the highway "hangs" - or seems to do so. Be sure to stop at a rest area or two, because they're all beautiful and have scenic views. The town of Glenwood Springs is another resort town that has hot springs, with commercial pools, available.

The scenery in extreme western Colorado and eastern Utah, along I-70, appears "stark", but very high desert and beautiful in its own rights. The mountains are called "Book Cliffs" for good reason. Just west of Green River, you enter Escalante Canyon area. It's 108 miles of NO services and the rest areas only have porta-potties. However, this area is breathtakingly beautiful and worth doing. Salina is the western end of that Canyon and where the services are.

Between Salina and I-15 is Richfield. We've spent many nights in Richfield, since for us, it's 600 miles from home (and we consider 600 miles to be a good day's drive). There's a nice Quality Inn there in Richfield. It's where we usually stay, and have for the past 10 years.

My favorite interstate drive in the US is the one between Denver and Richfield, UT. When the interstate planners decided to put the highway there, they did a good job.

Donna

Actually - to get to San Francisco, if you want to go through Denver and take I-70 across Colorado and Utah, US-50 makes a LOT of sense. Ely is a neat town to spend a night in too.

Get off I-70 at Salina - Exit 54. Follow the US-50 signs - you will be making a left turn in the middle of town and going to Scipio, where you will get on I-15 south for a few miles. US-50 branches off again at Holden. After you get through Fallon NV, Alt-50 will take you to I-80 at Fernley, or you can stay on 50 through Carson City and Lake Tahoe, and rejoin I-80 in Sacramento.

There sure is a wealth of information in this forum! I am getting my DSLR all charged up and ready to go...can hardly wait!