1. Default San Fran - Vegas

Hello everyone!
    Can I ask for assistance on our planned route please -

We arrive San Fran 22nd October and plan a couple of days here,
    Then on to Carmel - my wifes choice - night here,
    On to Yosemite - don't know where here - advice would be good - would say $150 budget (or close to).
    Then someone else - advice would be good - was thinking somewhere around Death Valley?
    Then on to Vegas for three nights.

I have said to my wife that it is alot of driving but it is a once in a lifetime trip for us so want to see as much as possible.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

South of England.

Default Tioga pass.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Your trip is reasonably relaxed and you will see some wonderful things ! I would look to stay in Yosemite NP and maximise your time there if at all possible, if not then one of the surrounding towns such as Mariposa, El Portal and Groveland, or further south Oakhurst, the nearer the better though ! Staying in the park might mean stretching your budget or staying in a tent cabin though.

The popular onward journey to Las Vegas via CA120 [Tioga pass] could be subject to closure, but you have a good chance of the mountain pass being open. If it were to be closed then you would have to head south around the mountains via Bakersfield/Lake Isabella. Heading either way, you could lodge at Panamint springs or Stovepipe wells in DV, but you will need to check on vacancies for both Yosemite and DV. If Tioga were open then you could plan on spending the night around Bishop and give yourself a little more time in Yosemite before leaving, or stop around Lake Isabella if it isn't. As well as exploring Yosemite valley and hopefully Tioga pass, try and find time to head up to Glacier point, the view is spectacular and only a short walk from the parking lot.

Joplin MO

For comparison purposes, we stayed in the Cedar Lodge in El Portal early last October, and the room was $110 including tax. There's nothing inside Yosemite that inexpensive except the Curry Village tent cabins. We WOULD have stayed in Curry but it was pouring rain.

If you stay there, note that there is no cell phone coverage whatsoever and no Internet access except wi-fi in the lobby for $9. To be honest, the rooms are no better than the ones in most budget chain hotels such as Super 8.