1. Default Vancouver to Yellowstone

Hi,

Advice required please. We would like to visit Vancouver and Yellowstone and have two weeks from Mid October. Is this a good time to go?

We were thinking of traveling via Seattle. In two weeks where else would people recommend visiting? I need to fly back to London after Yellowstone and am unsure if to go up to Calagray, down to Salt Lake or elsewhere. Again any suggestions would be great

Thanks

Default One little problem....

Hi and Welcome to the Great American RaodTrip Forum.

Your first problem is going to be that Yellowstone basically shuts down around the middle of September (depending on weather). You will still be able to get in where roads are passable, but there will not be any services.

You may need to rethink.

Lifey

Default depending

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I'd say the biggest question is, will this be your only opportunity to visit the US?

October is a tricky month to visit Yellowstone, because, as Lifey mentioned, many of the services will be closed by that point. However, all of the roads and major attraction are still open and reachable until the first week of November. Here's a look at the closing dates so you can help decide for yourself.

If you start by flying into Seattle, then leaving from Calgary or anywhere in Canada will really not be possible, as dropping a rental car across the border is generally not allowed, and extremely expensive in the cases where it can be done. If you want to end in Calgary, then you'd probably want to start in Vancouver. However, Calgary might not be great choice anyway, since other parks heading that direction, like Glacier would also be closing up for the year.

Salt Lake would certainly make sense, as you could visit neighboring Grand Teton and make your way south, although keep in mind any one way trip will be more expensive than doing a round trip.

4. Default

Thank you for you replies

October would be the only time we have available this year. I see from the website that most of the roads are still open.

We are thinking, Vancouver then train to Seattle, pick up a car. Drive to Yellowstone via Glacier NP and then down to Salt Lake City. Some of these journeys are quite long so if any advice on things to see, which would tie in with an overnight stop then please feel free to comment

Many thanks

The question to me isn't whether you'll be able to visit at another point this year, its whether you think you'll have another opportunity to visit the US in the next few years.

Glacier and its biggest highlight, Going to the Sun road will partially shut down for the year in just a few days from now, and by mid October, most of it will close altogether. While mid-october is a near perfect time to visit nearly all of the US, the northern rockies - especially Glacier and Yellowstone - are one exception where you really are better off visiting earlier in the year.

That's why I'd say if you think you will have a chance to come back in future years, you may be better served on holding off on this part until later and focus your time on other parts of the US. If this is a once in a lifetime trip, and those are two place you are dying to see, then you'll probably have to live with the limitations.

I'd look closely at the potential issues that could come with flying into Canada and trying to leave from the US. At the very least, I'd expect that will cost you quite a lot, and at the worst there could be additional customs/immigration/homeland security hassles.

Default A potential problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    I'd look closely at the potential issues that could come with flying into Canada and trying to leave from the US. At the very least, I'd expect that will cost you quite a lot, and at the worst there could be additional customs/immigration/homeland security hassles.
    If you have not already done so, I would check with your local visa issuing agency, be that a colsulate or embassy. As well as the issues Michael mentions, it could be extremely time consuming if you are held up and questioned either on your arrival or departure.

On the other hand, I doubt that any of the major airlines would sell you a ticket if it is not allowed. It is at their expense that you would be returned to your home country.

Best double check.

Lifey

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    On the other hand, I doubt that any of the major airlines would sell you a ticket if it is not allowed. It is at their expense that you would be returned to your home country.
    Actually, the bigger concern is that they might sell you the ticket, but not notice the potential issue until you arrive at the airport to check in - and then they could deny your boarding at that point. Truely a worst case but a nightmare you'd want to avoid at all costs.

I suspect you could probably do it, especially since you'd be flying into Canada first, but I'd certainly look into it closely.

Default That's right

Yeah! Michael is right, and that is really what I meant. They will take your money and sell you a ticket, but when push comes to shove at check-in time, you could be refushed a boarding pass.

Definitely double check.

Lifey