1. Default Input on leaf peeping in Texas

Hi everyone!

I recently came across some articles suggesting leaf peeping in Texas. Has anyone tried leaf peeping here? I tried leaf peeping last year at the Adirondacks, and would like to try another place. Suggestions where to do it is also more than welcomed.

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Welcome!

I haven't personally heard about it, but I'd imagine if it does exist it would be very poor this year due to the severe drought.

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I'd tend to agree. I suspect there are some good spots to find foliage in Texas, but the severe drought would make this a bad year regardless.

There are lots of good places all over the country, however. Do you have any restrictions on where/when you can go?

Default Colorado ?

Colorado can offer some great leef peeping. The Aspens in Fall with the blue skies and snow topped mountains as a back drop, make quite a spectacle. The peak to peak highway, RMNP and Cottonwood pass near Buena Vista are popular areas. Of course with such a change in elevations Fall is over at the top of the mountain when only just beggining down the bottom, so timing will be an issue.

In Texas, it would appear that Lost Maple's State park is popular and so is McKittrick Canyon in Guadalupe moutains NP, although I haven't been to either and you should heed the warnings above.

Smokey mountains, Shenondoah NP and along the Blue Ridge parkway perhaps?

5. Default

Hi Michael,

I'd prefer going somewhere on the southeastern or central area first since I'm pretty new in the whole camping thing. I managed to visit the Adirondacks with a couple of friends when I headed there for a wedding. That's why I was rather intrigued when I read about TX since it's quite near where I stay.

6. Default

glc,

That was actually my biggest concern which was why I decided that it'll be best to ask around first. Thanks!

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Colorado can offer some great leef peeping. The Aspens in Fall with the blue skies and snow topped mountains as a back drop, make quite a spectacle. The peak to peak highway, RMNP and Cottonwood pass near Buena Vista are popular areas. Of course with such a change in elevations Fall is over at the top of the mountain when only just beggining down the bottom, so timing will be an issue.

In Texas, it would appear that Lost Maple's State park is popular and so is McKittrick Canyon in Guadalupe moutains NP, although I haven't been to either and you should heed the warnings above.

Smokey mountains, Shenondoah NP and along the Blue Ridge parkway perhaps?
    Hey Southwest Dave,

I might actually just try that. Know any okay camping areas around there? It'll be a big help.

Both Guadalupe Mountain and Lost Maples have campgrounds within their respective parks.

I think this year, however, you might be better off looking at areas like the Ozarks in Arkansas and Missouri, Land Between the Lakes/Mammoth Cave and surrounding areas in Tennessee/Kentucky, or even out towards the Smokey Mountains.

I'm right near the Ozarks and the leaves here this year are going to be very poor due to the heat and drought.

10. Default

Hmmm...how about the Smokey mountain areas or Aspen? Do you guys have any idea where I can check out how the leaves will be there?