1. Default Roundtrip in California/Nevada - Please take a look!

Hi all - greetings from Norway!

New on this forum, but this looks like a great place to find information!
    I was hoping that someone out there could give me a quick comment to our planned 11 day trip in California and Nevada.
    We are 3 (adults) that will leave from Los Angeles in the end of September, hoping to have a great experience in your fabulous country.

This is the route, so far:

Day 1: LAX - Venice beach
    Day 2: Venice beach - Santa Barbara
    Day 3: Santa Barbara - Carmel
    Day 4: Carmel - San Francisco
    Day 5: San Francisco
    Day 6: San Francisco - Lone Pine (trough Yosemite)
    Day 7: Lone Pine- Las Vegas (trough Death Valley)
    Day 8: Las Vegas
    Day 9: Las Vegas - Los Angeles
    Day 10: Los Angeles
    Day 11: Los Angeles - home....

The only hotels we have booked so far is at Venive and SB.

I am thinking about skipping the day in SF for either an extra night along highway 1, or an extra night between SF and LV.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Default Do-able!

Everything looks completely do-able. As far as the "should I eliminate this for that?" no one will know that answer but you. Are you looking to see something in particular in SF?

If not, perhaps you can decide "on the fly"....

Donna

Default Start With These Two Bits

Velkommen! Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

I can tell you that the general recommendation for the loop trip that you are planning is to do it the other way round, counter-clockwise (or anti-clockwise if you speak British English) so that when you make the drive between the San Francisco and Los Angeles areas the ocean and attendant pull-outs are on your side of the road. You should also have a read through some of the many previous discussions of this general itinerary. If you still have questions at that point, please feel free to speak up.

AZBuck

Default Yosemite.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Yes it's doable but you really won't have any time to enjoy Yosemite if you try to get from SF to Lone Pine same day. I would either add an overnight stop between SF and Vegas, or look to stop in Lee Vining or Mammoth the night rather than Lone Pine. Yosemite is quite incredible and I would recommend spending a night here. You might want to reverse your trip and have the Ocean on your side of the road heading south.

5. Default

Thanks for the replies!

I have already booked hotel in Santa Barbera, so I think we have to stick to the original route.

If we plan an extra night between SF and LV, what will be the best places to stay?

If we only stop in Lee Vining, is the next leg to LV doable in one day?

Default You may need an extra night.

Quote Originally Posted by Webrunner View Post
    I am thinking about skipping the day in SF for either an extra night along highway 1 ...
    You may find you will need an extra night there... Santa Barbara to Carmel is a very long day, and will not give you any opportunity to see the sights... especially since you will not be on the ocean side of the road. It will take so much longer to turn in and out of all the view points. We normally recommend staying in the vicinity of Cambria or Morro Bay.

Are you sure you can't change the date of the hotel booking in St Barbara? At least worth asking. But even so, Carmel to Santa Barbara, is a very long day driving. The Pacific Coast Highway is slow going.

Lifey

Quote Originally Posted by Webrunner View Post
    I have already booked hotel in Santa Barbera, so I think we have to stick to the original route.
    Don't take this personally, because you're hardly the first to make a statement like this, but I've always thought "hotel reservations" are one of the silliest reasons not to change a trip. A hotel reservations can be changed or cancelled, nearly always without penalty as long as you are at least 24-48 hours in advance of your trip, and in September you should have no problem finding a place to stay, even without reservations.

If you really want to stay in SB, then stay there, but I wouldn't do it just because of a reservation.

If we plan an extra night between SF and LV, what will be the best places to stay?
    If we only stop in Lee Vining, is the next leg to LV doable in one day?
    I'd highly recommend adding a night here, and I would stay right inside Yosemite if possible. If not, then look at one of the doorstep communities like Oakhurst or Mariposa. Then spend the next night either in Lone Pine or right in Death Valley.

If you do this trip with only one overnight, then Lee Vining would probably be your best bet - you could certainly drive from SF and to Vegas in one day each from this point. However, it will force you to really rush through both Yosemite and Death Valley.

8. Default

Thanks again!

First, my hotel in SB cannot be changed, because its booked trough Hotwire.com, and it`s a rather expensive one.
    Second, I don`t want to start off with LV.
    So, I the only problem Is to decide where to put in the extra night. I think it`s going to be in Yosemite, but maybe we should wait and see how the weather is