Thread: hopesdepot

1. Default hopesdepot

Hi, My husband and I have just retired and we are planning a trip to Denver, CO to visit with family the first week of October and plan to return the second week of November. We are thinking of taking a northern route out and a southern route for our return trip. This is our first road trip so we need your advice on the best routes to take and suggestions for attractions to see along the way. We plan to take five days for travel to and from Denver. Thanks you for any suggestions and advice.

Default From/To Where?

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America forums!

Before we can offer you any help, we would need to know, at least approximately, where you're starting from, and whether the five days mentioned is your one-way driving time or all that you have available for the complete round trip.

AZBuck

3. Default

Sorry...We will travel from Philadelphia, PA to Denver, CO. We have five or more days to travel out and the same for travel back.

Default Two Generic Routes

OK, there are two routes between Philadelphia that differ by only about 50 miles or so out of a total of approximately 1750 miles, so not much difference at all.The 'northern' route uses the Turnpikes to Chicago and then I-80 across Iowa to follow the old Oregon Trail along the Platte River in Nebraska, and finally I-76 into Denver. The 'southern' route goes by way of I-70 across Missouri and Kansas to Kansas city and St. Louis, then trough central IL/IN/OH to OI-76 into Philadelphia. There are even routes that are farther south which you could manage in five days, so if that's what you had in mind, let me know. Along the 'northern' route, major attractions would include Cuyahoga National Park outside Cleveland, the Natural History Museum in Chicago, the Amana Colonies in Iowa, and Fort Kearney(NE). And along the 'southern' route I've laid out some of the possible attraction would be the Fick Fossil Museum in Oakley (KS), the Truman Home in Independence (MO), the Arch and Museum of Westward Expansion in St. Louis and the Air Force Museum in Dayton. There are more, of course, but those are the 'biggies' that appeal to most people. If you have specific interests, now's the time to speak up.

AZBuck

5. Default

Thank you, we appreciate your feedback and suggestions. Yes, since we have some extra time, please share your information on the the 'southeren' routes that go farther south. Also, please highlight some interesting places to eat and stay along the way for both generic routes.
    hopesdepot

It would really be helpful if you'd share a little more about you and what you like. Even sharing feedback about the things that have been suggested as to which sound most interesting to you will go a long way towards getting more ideas that are specific to your interests. Afterall, there are millions of route possibilities, and millions more potential things to stop and see.

7. Default

We enjoy national parks, historical sites, architectural wonders, small quaint towns/villages... We have visited Texas, New Orleans, Florida, and most states up the East Coast.

8. Default

Which ever route you decide to take home, give yourself some extra time because the weather can turn really bad by November in Colorado and you could be delayed because of snow.

Utahtea