1. Default HELP!!! going west to Portland, Oregon from Yellowstone

Can anyone suggest the best route to take from Yellowstone to Oregon? We are traveling with a 30' RV and our truck doesn't have the greatest power so we are wanting to take the least elevated highways to get from Yellowstone to Portland Oregon. Any help would be truly appreciated.
    Last edited by dlouroberts; 08-29-2011 at 07:01 PM.

Default Why Washington?

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The 'best' route in your case doesn't go through Washington state, and is almost downhill all the way. Leave the park to the west through West Yellowstone and take US-20 down to Idaho Falls and pick up I-15 to I-86 west. That joins I-84 west to follow the Snake River Valley. After a short run through some low mountain valleys in northeastern Oregon, I-84 follows the Columbia River to Portland. As a bonus, that last bit is one of the most scenic Interstates in the country.

AZBuck

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The 'best' route in your case doesn't go through Washington state, and is almost downhill all the way. Leave the park to the west through West Yellowstone and take US-20 down to Idaho Falls and pick up I-15 to I-86 west. That joins I-84 west to follow the Snake River Valley. After a short run through some low mountain valleys in northeastern Oregon, I-84 follows the Columbia River to Portland. As a bonus, that last bit is one of the most scenic Interstates in the country.

AZBuck
    I meant Oregon. We are going to Portland. Thank you for your post.

4. Default okay AZ BUCK

Dear Mr. Buck,
    We took your advise getting from Yellowstone to Portland, OR with no incidents. Thank you for your input. We are leaving Portland and heading to the Sequoias (spelling?) Do you have any suggestions for us road-wise? Again, we are traveling with a 30' fifth wheel with a truck that is not the most powerful. Thank you again for your response to our first request.

Donna L. Roberts from Kansas
    Last edited by AZBuck; 09-18-2011 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Merged with revious thread about the same trip

Default Which Sequoias?

I'm not sure where you're headed. To Sequoia National Park, which is in the Sierra Nevada, or one of the many state parks along the northern California coast around Eureka?

AZBuck