Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Seatttle, WA long term parking

We are visiting our daughter who lives near Denny Park and staying for about two weeks. Any suggestions on parking our car. the only suggestion so far has been to sell the car and buy a new one when we leave. Looking for more suggestions from people who have been there or live there. Thanks

2. Default Washington, DC to Seattle, WA, Death Valley, Zion NP etc, etc two months 8000 miles

Wife and I are leaving tomorrow (8/29) for a two month, 8000 mile trip to see the country. Driving our 2006 Cadillac DTS. First to Ohio to see my brother, then to Iowa, then to Mt, Rushmore and beyond. I am going to try to keep posting, so if you have any suggestions, we are always open.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 08-28-2011 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Merged

Default a big country

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

First, as a matter of policy, we really prefer if you keep all of your questions and posts about one trip together in the same thread.

As far as Seattle parking, I certainly wouldn't recommend buying/selling, as that would be really extreme and cost you far more than you'd save. I don't have a specific answer for you, however, I'd say the person you should be asking is your daughter. I'm sure she's got to have some friends/neighbors who have a car, and have to have some place to park it. Just doing a quick google search I also found a few private parking companies that you could look into, or at the very worst, you could look at parking by the airport.

For the rest of your trip, obviously, you're talking way too big of a target for us to start randomly throwing out ideas, but we look forward to hearing about your trip, and if you have any specific questions along the way, feel free to ask.

4. Default

left Washington, DC area this morning. heading out RT 50 to Winchester, VA then 522 to I-68 west. Then up to I-70, 270 around Columbus, OH to 33, the up and over to Celina, OH. Weather was great, some minor construction, but no major delays and the roads were also in great condition. Had some vibration with my brakes going do a few mountains. Having it looked at tomorrow being we are headed for the Rocky MTs. Leaving here on 8/31.

5. Default

day 3, mile 960, left Celina, OH the morning and drove through the rural farm country. They grow A LOT of corn and soybeans there. Same for Indiana and Illinois. We are spending the night in Galesburg, IL.

6. Default

We are leaving sept. 10 and driving from NJ to Seattle and can't wait to read more of your experiences on your cross-country trip. Any and all details would be most appreciated.
    Safe travels and we will also post the details of our trip. We are planning RT 80 to Iowa then SD, Montana, Idaho and Washington.

7. Default

Day 4, mile 1413- left this morning from Galesburg, IL. Took Rt 34 across Iowa. It goes through the southern Iowa farm country. Weather was great the the road was great also. Many small middle America towns. Came to I-29, near Omaha, NE and headed North. Interstate was closed in some places, due to flooding. Staying tonight in Sioux City. IA. Went to Sgt Floyds Bluff, which is where Sgt Floyd was buried. He was the only person to die on the Lewis & Clark expedition. Heading out in the morning for Mt Rushmore. ##### I-29 both north and south of Omaha is closed due to flooding. I-80 will take you above the closings, but you can't go south. There are also sections north of Omaha where there are huge sand/gravel bags lining the interstate to keep the water back. I have never seen anything like that before. Drive safe.

Yeah, the Missouri River flooding is a major problem we've been following closely. There are large parts of I-29 south of Omaha/Missouri Valley, Iowa that will be closed for months - quite possibly even a year or more. Our thread following the problems can be found here.

Default Others who have taken this trip

Hi, and Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jersey View Post
    We are leaving sept. 10 and driving from NJ to Seattle and can't wait to read more of your experiences on your cross-country trip. Any and all details would be most appreciated.
    Safe travels and we will also post the details of our trip. We are planning RT 80 to Iowa then SD, Montana, Idaho and Washington.
    A few folk have made that trip lately, and here are some more threads which may be of interest, and give you some other options and suggestions.

Lifey
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 09-02-2011 at 08:56 AM.

10. Default

Day 6, mile 2011- stayed the night in Valentine, NE. Headed west on Rt 20 across north western NE. This was a fabulous drive, a little rain in the morning, but cleared by 11am. Grasslands and rolling hills as far as you could see. Then up Rt 385 to Wind Cave National Park. Did the 1 1/2 hour tour of the cave. Left there and to Mr. Rushmore, staying the night in Keystone, SD, with a view of the MT from our hotel room. Keystone, SD, we came, we stayed and we are leaving in the morning. It is to touristy and constant loud motorcycles. Heading for Buffalo, WY tomorrow, spend the night, then to Grand Tetons