Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default I didn't know that...

Thanks Mark.

I was not aware that you can do anything with maps without putting in a start point in the little box below the map in the map centre/wizard. Will be back if I need more help.

When I get home, I will see if I have some time to have a go at it... but that will be well past midnight your time.

Lifey

Default 15% = Map Wizard.... 85% more capability on the Map Center Page

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    I was not aware that you can do anything with maps without putting in a start point in the little box below the map in the map centre/wizard. Will be back if I need more help.
    The Map Wizard is the "starter" mapping application. There are only a couple of choices for creating maps. The Map Center page is the Master Planning tool, there are dozens of ways to customize your maps.

Here's the various ways you can create a route on the Map Center page:

"Find Route from Addresses"
    ** Often times, the city is sufficient,
    ** But you can enter known addresses or you can use the RTA "Find Address" tool
    ** The route is calculated for you, following roads in the Google Mapping database

Find Route from Coordinates
    ** Here you enter the starting and ending GPS coordinates and the route is calculated for you, following roads in the Google Mapping database

Create A Hand-Drawn Route
    ** As explained above. This is not a very exact way to plot a map, but it can provide a quick view of distances. It was really developed for those situations when Google Maps doesn't recognize an off-road track as a "real road."

If I miss you tonight, I'll see your posts in the morning.

Thanks,

Mark

Default I managed to get part of the way

Mark.

It is a mystery to me why I keep calling something which stresses me out so much, as playing. And yes, you would have been surprised if there was not a further query from me.

Decided to do another road, since you had given me the Spar Canyon Road. Cottonwood Canyon Road in Utah, is another of interest to me. I have actually driven it, but never been able to show anyone as I no longer have the detailed map the ranger gave me. Thought I'd print it off the computer.

Managed to get the points on the map, as per post 6, but had great difficulty trying to make a route. That is probably to do with my internet connection. (It is most likely that at this time of day (night) there are too many on the internet for me to get enough band to do anymore. The little indicators keep showing both the upload and the download at 0.00 kbps.)

And another thing I noticed... when I save a point it shows the co-ordinates for that point. Is there anywhere [on the internet] where I can find the co-ordinates before I enter a place? of any given place? That would make life so much easier. I could just put them in, without having to describe things.

I did manage to get some of what I want on another map, but it insisted on 12 and 89. So I tried dragging it across to the Cottonwood Canyon Road. But instead of moving the route, it added the latter. I wanted to show, but can't for the world of me work out how to save it and link it to here.

Lifey

Default Excellent Work -- Some more tips

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    Managed to get the points on the map, as per post 6, but had great difficulty trying to make a route. That is probably to do with my internet connection.
    Oh, yeah I had forgotten about that issue. Low connectivity is going to be a problem -- that I can't solve easily.
    And another thing I noticed... when I save a point it shows the co-ordinates for that point. Is there anywhere [on the internet] where I can find the co-ordinates before I enter a place? of any given place? That would make life so much easier. I could just put them in, without having to describe things.
    I don't use coordinates so I'm not really up to speed, but yeah, there are dozens of sites that product GPS coordinates for locations. The challenge of this, is that you need to enter them in the format of the coordinates that we can use -- (The Google format). The find An Address tool was added to the RTA program to help resolve this issue.
    So I tried dragging it across to the Cottonwood Canyon Road. But instead of moving the route, it added the latter.
    . Yes, we've not enabled any dragging capability to the RTA maps. I don't like how it works very much.
    I wanted to show, but can't for the world of me work out how to save it and link it to here
    Not sure what you mean? Do you mean you'd like to have the map display on this forum, or in e-mail, etc? You can also print it!

Once you've saved a map....
    1) Click on "View and Share Saved Map"
    ...This will generate a new page that you can send by e-mail or post on any social media site.
    ....Copy the URL of the new page (your saved map) and then where you want the map to display, click on the the RTA Map icon shown in the tool bar above (just like you you add URLs!) but use the RTA Maps tool.
    2) Once the RTA Maps code is on the page,
    3) Insert the URL between the the the two code blocks
    4) Change the word custom to display

5) And it all works...

Default Printing is another tool

Printing is another thing you can do to a saved map. It's truly a very cool tool. Try it out.
    Decided to do another road, since you had given me the Spar Canyon Road. Cottonwood Canyon Road in Utah, is another of interest to me. I have actually driven it, but never been able to show anyone as I no longer have the detailed map the ranger gave me. Thought I'd print it off the computer.
    To start this one, I put Cottonwood Canyon in the search box under Method 2. Once the map found the right road, I started adding CPs to enable the routing program to work. Now, I wasn't sure which Cottonwood Canyon you had in mind, so this might not be the right one?
    Sunnyside
    Whitmore Canyon Road
    Cottonwood and Flat Iron Mesa
    Cottonwood and Cottonwood Ridge
    End of the Road

And here would be the print URL (there's not much here because we don't have RAs here)

Since there wasn't much to see for the printing option for Cottonwood Canyon, here is another map to look at that shows what I find pretty cool...
    Here's the shared map:

And here is the URL for the Print Set-up page for this map:
    click here for Print set-up for this map
    Now, what you want to do is to check as many of the print display options as you want... For this example, I suggest you click "Check All" and then click "Print Setup" and you'll see a preview of what such a printed map would look like. You can further customize this as much you want to...
    (What you'll see as soon as you click Print Setup is the map image, with markers numbers and under that, the list of RTA RA information we have on each marker, with complete URLs, phone numbers, GPS coordinates, Photos, etc. If you had Custom Places, they'd be in the list too.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 08-29-2011 at 07:50 AM.

Default An epilogue

Thank you Mark.

I have no doubt that this is as frustrating for you, as it is for me. Often when I read your responses, they do not (in my mind) answer the question I asked. This maybe because I do not explain it in the right terms, or it is your inabillity to see things from a computer illiterate's point of view. I don't know which, and it really does not matter.

When I mentioned the map on which I had tried to drag and link, I wrote 'on another map'... I should have written, 'on another mapping program'. That was not on RTA. Can't remember if it was on Mapquest or Google or Yahoo or whichever....

It is now clear to me that most, if not all these mapping programs are set up for designated highways and paved minor roads. The roads to which roadtrippers (are forced to) stick. But you know by now that that is not me. When you try to do something different, something outside the box, these programs make it horrendously complicated.... almost as if they don't want you to do your own thing. (Back in the 70s there was a song written about it... albeit not exactly roadtripping... but you can apply it ..... and they all come out the same!) Call it the rebel in me... but I have never fitted into preconceived little boxes.

For more than half a century we have made trips, and always had our maps with us. For more than half a century we have not known the exact distance of the roads on which we drove, nor to the next destination. And somehow, we have had some absolutely wonderful trips. In the same way, my trips in North America have not been any less enjoyable (really magical) for want of not knowing where or how far away my next destination was.

My resolve now is to ditch all this frustration, and continue to make use of the plentyful resources available out there... NP service, rangers offices and officers, visitor centre, forest services, etc. These caring folk have sent me, and given me directions to some of the most memorable experiences of my life.

So thanks again, but let's call it quits!

Lifey

p.s. I meant Cottonwood Canyon Road between Cannonville and Big Water UT

Default Priority to the 90% of the road tripping community

Actually the mapping database we use works on most of the graded, unpaved roads I've driven on in North America. It is true, you need to force the program to follow those roads, but it does work. I've built dozens and dozens of maps for off-road locations using the RTA Custom Mapping program.

I'm sorry you find this so frustrating.

Mark