East central Illinois.

Default First "family" road trip!!

Hi all, I am a newbie to this forum, but not to roadtripping but this seemed like the best place on the web for insight and *gulp* support. In a couple of weeks, I will be taking my entire family (kids and grandparents) on our first road trip. We will be traveling to Maine via NH from NY. We plan on stying near Mt. Washington on our first night so we can take the auto road up the mountain the next day. My mom suffers from vertigo and I am a bit concerned about this drive. I have driven up Mt. Evans in CO and if the auto road up Mt. Washington is anything like that, my mom might be a bit unnerved. Does anyone here have any experience with the Mt. Washington auto road? Also, we plan on staying in Belfast, ME for a couple of nights (pending no hurricane closures), and I would like to know if there are any off the beaten path sights we shouldn't miss while in the area. I really appreciate any advice and hope to be able to give back to this forum if I can. Thank you!

Tucson, AZ

Default Mount Washington and Other Delights

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

I have driven up the Mount Washington Auto Road several times (and hiked to the top of the mountain a few others). Unfortunately, the Auto Road is not for the faint of heart. On both the drive up and the drive down, there are sections where you will be on graded dirt with no guardrail on the passenger side of the car, and no slope, berm, or anything else visible to the passenger - just drop-off. If it will help, you should put your mom in the seat behind the driver. There is also a 'limo' service which will drive your mom (and anyone else) to the top - for a fee, but the road and the views will not be changed by having a different driver. The other option is to take the cog railway from Bretton Woods to the top of the mountain. I've not taken that trip, so I can't speak to whether it is vertigo inducing or not.

But there are many other enjoyable venues in New England, so that if your mom can't make the trip to the top of Mount Washington with you there will still be plenty to make this a very memorable vacation.

Last edited by AZBuck; 08-26-2011 at 11:58 AM. Reason: GRADED dirt!! 'Paved dirt' makes no sense!?!?

East central Illinois.

AZBuck, thank you for the advice! I was hoping that someone here had been up the road. I will suggest both seating location and cog railway to my mom, she may decide to opt out. We had also planned on traversing the Penobscot Narrows bridge and she has already decided to opt out of that adventure. Thanks again.