1. Default El Paso to Amarillo, Texas -- best road trip?

This will be part of a road trip from El Paso to Albuquerque. The plan is to do El Paso, then ???, then Amarillo, Santa Fe and Albuquerque. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to see and what to skip? I was originally going to just do Albuquerque and Santa Fe, but suspect El Paso and Amarillo are worthwhile.

Based on my research it seems like I should go from El Paso to Las Cruces to Roswell. But then from Roswell to Amarillo I can either go through Clovis or Lubbock. A few extra hours on the road is not a big deal, it is more a matter of seeing more interesting attractions and scenery.

I am from Los Angeles and have never been to New Mexico or West Texas. Within Texas have only been to San Antonio, Austin, and small towns in the hill country.

Any suggestions, feedback, or other info on attractions/cities along the way is greatly appreciated!

Default All Other Things Being Equal

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

'Best' is always a relative term, and you may have particular interests or needs that would influence your decision, but one generally good route would be to first head north on US-54. Since this is technically an east-west route, it might be marked as US-54 East. At Alamogordo you'll duplex with US-70 east which you follow when the two routes split. At Clovis, NM US-70 will duplex with US-60 east. Again follow the new route, US-60 east, when the two roads split in Texas and you will end up on I-27 into Amarillo. Along the way you will be coming within easy visiting distance of White Sands National Monument and Roswell,

AZBuck

Quote Originally Posted by jordan725 View Post
    This will be part of a road trip from El Paso to Albuquerque. The plan is to do El Paso, then ???, then Amarillo, Santa Fe and Albuquerque. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to see and what to skip?
    I was originally going to just do Albuquerque and Santa Fe, but suspect El Paso and Amarillo are worthwhile.
    Everyone's idea of what to see and what to skip are going to be different, because your likes/dislikes will be different from someone else's. That said...

Albuquerque: Petroglyphs National Monument, Rio Grande State Park and Nature Center, and the Nuclear Museum (related to the Smithsonian) are all great, IMHO. There's the tram up to the top of Sandia Peak - I've never done that but have heard it's good.

You could also get there and ask around, "what's good?!"

Donna

Default A friend took me up there.

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    There's the tram up to the top of Sandia Peak - I've never done that but have heard it's good.
    The views are spectacular and the commentary helps one to understand the history and geography of the district. It is a little out of the way, and takes a while to get to the top, but the view from the top makes it all worthwhile. You need warm clothes if you want to go on any of the short hikes, it can be quite cold up there, even in summer.

Lifey

5. Default

I have traveled from Las Cruces to Amarillo through Clovis. I found the section through the Lincoln National Forest between Las Cruces and Roswell to be scenic. But, I don't recall much between Roswell and Amarillo except feed lots. You may want to look into Palo Duro Canyon south of Amarillo. I haven't been there yet, but it's on my list for another trip.