Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default First time in the states! :)

Hi everybody!
    I'm traveling to the states for my first time in 2 months! :)
    I'll be traveling with my Girlfriend, first to NYC, then to Orlando (Disneyland etc...). we decided to rent a car after Orlando, for 10 days (November 4th-14th, then we need to fly to San Francisco). I thought about traveling in western USA (but i found out my Girlfriend already done that a few years ago and that the weather will be troublesome).
    So my question is, where should we travel in that period of time: Florida and the states near it, another scenic route or should we travel to the west anyway (I think she prefers doing something new). we are both 23 years old, LOVE traveling and interested in nature, countryside, National parks, special attractions etc... We prefer not spending time in big cities, unless it is something special. By the way, only I will be driving...

Any help would be appreciated :)

Green County, Wisconsin

Default step one

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Unfortunately, the one big question you asked is one no one else can answer. "Where to go" really is kind of the first step in making a plan, and no one can possibly know better than yourselves what will be most interesting to you. There is no wrong answer, but there are thousands of possibilities, no matter if you go west or stay with the Southeast.

I will say that for nature and national parks, the west will offer a diversity that is unlike anywhere else in the world really. Weather by November can be a little tricky at times in the west, but the biggest areas of concern will be in the mountains - and you'd have the same problems if you visited the mountain area of the southeast. However, it can also be said that the only place you are likely to see really warm/hot weather would be South Florida, so if that's a priority, that could be the better choice for you.

I'd also suggest that you talk with your gf a little more and find out where she went, what she liked, and what else she'd like to do. Unless she spent a couple years here, I doubt she saw everything there is to see, and I bet even among national parks, there are probably a couple dozen that would be completely new experiences for both of you - and even if she ends up repeating a couple, there are still new experiences to be had.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 08-23-2011 at 04:53 PM. Reason: typo

3. Default Thanks for the fast response :)

Thanks for the fast response :)
    Well, hot weather isn't a priority, but we prefer avoiding snowy weather since we don't live in a country with such weather and prefer not to drive on frosty roads...
    I asked my GF where she had been, from what i understand (since we talked on Skype and the line wasn't that good) she traveled from LA to Las Vegas and visited Yosemite park, Grand Canyon and the other main attractions in that area.
    Since we'll be in Orlando, I thought about driving north to Georgia, then to Tennessee , Mississippi, Alabama and back to to Orlando, but as i said, it's my first time in the states and i don't have a clue if such a trip is doable in 10 days :)
    We are very spontanous, so we'll manage to find interesting things to do on the way.

So, do you think it is a good route or should we shorten it in order to see more?

Thanks again!

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Doable

If I'm understanding correctly, you're looking to do a loop in the Southeast US - Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, and back to Florida. The answer is - yes, in ten days you can do this trip... with caveats. Those being how much time you plan to spend in any given area, and what types of things you want to see in those areas.

Now, the route is still vague, there are many options for you to explore this area. Do you have any specifics in mind? There must be some attractions that have drawn you to decide on those states.

Melbourne, Australia

Default Spontaneous?

Quote Originally Posted by Daniels View Post
    We are very spontaneous, so we'll manage to find interesting things to do on the way.
    Have you ever thought of getting in a car and heading out. Pick a place on the map within a reasonable distance, and head there. Speak to the locals to find out what they regard as the attractions in their area. You could be surprised what gems you may see. And allow yourself time to take a turn, wherever a sign post points to something which looks interesting. This of course is best done by taking local roads.

Planning your trip on the run can be a great adventure and lots of fun. Just make sure that when half the time is up, you are on your way back.... via a different route.

6. Default

Actually I never plan a road-trip, but it's more logical when I visit a Small country, so i guess we'll head out as you suggested... But i just wanted to know if the basic plan of visiting the mentioned states in 10 days is doable.

to tell you the truth, I don't know what is there to see in these countries, I chose them because they are near Florida and saw some nice pictures on Google earth :)
    If there are other areas full of great views, National Parks etc. which are in 10 days loop ride, we will be happy to change our course.

And thanks again!

South of England.

Default Four corners ?

Going back to Michaels original reply, only you can decide where and what appeals to you the most and to do that you need to do a little reasearch. Have a look around the forums [use the search function] and road trip planning resources in the tool bars above [like the Map centre] and once you have worked on a route and have some dots on the map, we can help to fill in the blanks. The road trip is a very individual thing and the planning is a big part of the fun, much better than having someone else tell you where to go.

For one suggestion that might fit in with what you are looking for, I would suggest you look at the Four corners region, Colorado, Utah , Arizona and New Mexico. You will have the chance to visit some great National parks like, Rocky mountain NP, Arches, Canyonlands, Mesa Verde, Black canyon, Great sand dunes. Take routes such as the 'Million dollar highway' and admire the amazing and diverse scenery, from Alpine to Red rock to desert. You could do a Denver loop using a car and Motels, the only problem is snow and frost would be a real possibility, especially in Colorado.

8. Default

Virginia -Shenandoah valley
    NC-Blue Ridge Parkway, Boone, Asheville, Wilmington, Kure Beach

9. Default

looks amazing! but driving from Orlando to Shenandoah valley is something like 2000 KM, do you think it's possible?

Joplin MO

2000 KM can be driven on Interstate highways in 2 long days, so you should have plenty of time.