Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Going to Bodie in a Mustang!

Hi guys - going on a road trip in two weeks, and part of the trip will be a drive from Yosemite to Mammoth. I've spotted that with a minor detour, it's possible to head to Bodie which looks ace. Trouble is, we're in a Mustang and I'm worried about the state of the road. I've read a few articles about it, but can't find anything conclusive - is it a safe road, or should we not bother?

Hope you can help, and sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Andy.

Default Not that wise!

Sorry to be the bearer of some bad news, but it's not a good idea!

First of all, the biggest problem is that even if you were in an SUV, you couldn't do it, because you are planning to rent a car for this trip. The road to Bodie is a rough, unpaved road that will almost certainly invalidate your rental contract. That means that if they take note of your journey (and your car will have GPS tracking) you could face a major fine, and if you have an accident or break down, it will be 100% your responsiblity to pay for any and all damage - as your insurance will be completely invalid. Best way to sum it up, by breaking the terms of your rental contract, you're essentially driving a stolen car.

Second, even if it wasn't a rental, based on what I know about the road, you certainly would not want to take a mustang on it. At the very least, you'd want something with higher clearance, which is the exact opposite of what you'll get in a low-sitting sports car like a mustang. You're likely to have a rock(s) take out the undercarriage of the car, doing more damage than you could possibly imagine.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 08-22-2011 at 06:57 AM.

Default It really depends on the season

All of Michael's points are spot-on, except for the high-clearance part. The road is graded in the spring just about every year, but by summer, the road has some of the worst washboard in the west. You could drive the road in a Mustang, but it wouldn't be much fun!

Mark

Default Damn!

I suspected as much. Thanks for the advice, I'd love to go to Bodie but I'm not risking damage. Guess I'll have to seek out an easier to get to Ghost Town!

Default There are others.

There was a similar question and discussion not all that long ago, for a ghost town easier to reach than Bodie. From memory it was in the area south of Zion. I have been looking around, but can't find the thread where it was mentioned. Maybe someone else will remember. As I recall, it was reachable along a surfaced road.

Lifey

Default One of These Ghost Towns?

Lifey, you may be thinking of either Grafton near St. George or Silver Reef near Cedar City. Both are on my list of 'possibles' for a spur of the moment RoadTrip my wife and I are taking to the area next week.

AZBuck

Default That was it.

Thanks AZBuck, I think the one I was thinking of, the one which was discussed at the time, was Grafton. I thought it was near St George. I had forgotten to make note of them in my little book. I have now noted both for future reference.

I visited some with my friend in central Idaho, but at the time did not make note, and could not now, tell anyone where they were or what they were called. Maybe I need to go back there.

Lifey

Wow - Grafton looks fantastic. I'll see if that's reachable - many thanks.

I've just noticed on that site a place called Darwin, which if my mapping is correct is 5 miles out of my way as I go through Death Valley:

It looks cool, anyone have any advise on this would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 08-23-2011 at 07:05 AM. Reason: link format

Default Rhyolite might be your best choice!

It is cool, not as cool as Bodie, in terns of structures, but that road is much less maintained than the road to Bodie!

There is a ghost town that is accessible from a paved road... there are some dirt road sections, but you can get to the most scenic parts from the paved road. It is near the northern part of Death Valley. Rhyolite is just outside of Beatty.

And here's a post from a member about visiting ghost towns in Montana.

Mark