1. Default Cross Country & Down the West Coast - November

Hi All!!
    So a few friends and I are heading cross country to make the move to LA come November. I will leave NY and meet my friends in Minneapolis and we plan to hit the road from there on November 7th. We plan to be in Seattle, WA by the night of the 17th (so like eleven days on the road), Portland, OR by the night of the 19th (two days on the road), and finally, Los Angeles, CA by the 23rd (three or four days on the road), just in time for Thanksgiving. Three landmarks, 17 days, two cars, four twenty-somethings.

SO!! Suggestions?
    So far, we're thinking of hitting up Mt Rushmore and Yellowstone, but we need more suggestions! We're traveling in November, so obviously the weather is a concern. If possible, we're trying to stay a little more south and take more major roads that will be maintained in the event of heavy snows, but we want to have fun and see some awesome stuff! Fun landmarks? National park and places to camp? Cheap hotels or landmark cities along the way? Please help us make this the best roadtrip ever!

Oh, and we're on a bit of a tight budget as far as fun stuff goes, so we're mostly looking for like national parks and goofy places to visit, things to see, you know, like carhenge and the worlds largest doughnut. That kinda stuff. :) THANKS!!

Welcome!

Yellowstone will not be an option, most of the roads will be closed to wheeled vehicles for the winter on November 7. Very little of the park will be accessible.

Have you considered skipping the Pacific Northwest and touring the southern Utah parks, the Grand Canyon, and Death Valley?

3. Default

Yellowstone will not be an option, most of the roads will be closed to wheeled vehicles for the winter on November 7. Very little of the park will be accessible.
    As glc said, most of the roads in Yellowstone will be closed. You won't be able to get to the Geyser areas. Yellowstone Open and Closing Dates

Your best bet on National Parks at this time of the year will be in Arizona, Utah, & California. Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Bryce, Zion, Death Valley & Yosemite.

There's a lot of great goofy places to see on the sections of Old Route 66 that are still left.

Once you have decided on your route, we can help with campgrounds.

Utahtea

Default On the same page.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

As I read your post and took weather and budget issues into consideration, my thoughts were pretty much as the responses above. Further to the south will mean less gas consumption and a higher concentration of NP's to choose from, Vegas could be considered a "landmark City" and has it's share of cheap lodging. It won't mean you are immune from winter weather though, that's something no one can predict and is a case of 'wait and see'. If you want to head towards the Northwest, there are of course other options to Yellowstone, Badlands NP, Custer state park, Wind cave NP, Crazy horse memorial, Devils tower NM etc.

You will find Lot's of info searching the forums and checking out the planning resources in the tool bars above. The Map centre is a godd tool for finding attractions and creating routes. As more questions crop up, just ask.

Enjoy the planning !

5. Default

Thanks for the suggestions! Actually, One of our group has family in Seattle and my family and car is in Portland, so skipping directly down to Cali isn't really an option, but thanks for the ideas. We also take a Vegas roadtrip every year anyway, so the Vegas area stuff is stuff we'll probably hit in June on our annual trip. Thanks for the info on Yellowstone though! I hadn't even thought of that.
    Any other suggestions?