1. Default seattle to las vegas

Hi I am planning a trip from seattle to Las Vegas in late November early December, trying to figure out my best option. I was thinking to go I-5 to sacramento and into reno, looks like the weather and conditions may be sketchy and not comfortable driving mountain passes in the late fall. My second option which the map tool here and mapquest suggest going I-90 over snoqualmie pass down thru yakima to boise then twin falls and straight down on 93. I am fine with driving snoqualmie pass done it plenty and comfortable with the area and looking at the maps looks mostly low lands and no major passes after that. My concern with this route is 93 thru nevada how are the conditions and the access to gas lodging services on this route, also a little concerned for safety on that hwy. I am traveling with 3 children and my husband we can take either 2 or 3 days for the trip down and this route looks faster than I-5 over to reno. How are conditions in the southern Idaho area after we get thru yakima as well?

Welcome!

Your "best" route is all Interstate - I-90/I-82/I-84/I-15. US-93 is 120 miles shorter, but it's a very sparsely populated road. You CAN make good time, the speed limit on the open road in NV is 70. Cell service is poor. If the weather is good, go ahead and take it, and plan your fuel and lodging stops carefully. Services are really only available in Wells and Ely. South of Ely, take US-6 to NV-318, this is a significant shortcut.

You can make the drive in 2 long days, with an overnight in Twin Falls. If you want to take 3 days, there is NO lodging between Ely and LV.

If you'd rather take I-5, take it all the way to Bakersfield and take CA-58 to I-15. Once you get through the Siskiyous, that is actually the least mountainous road - Tehachapi Pass on CA-58 is seldom affected by snow.

3. Default

Is I-5 to Bakersfield then vegas possible in 2 days or whould we plan 3 days for that route?

Default Wait and see.

That would be two very long days on the road and whereas it would be possible with good conditions, it would pay to have a back up plan and use an extra half day if needed. There should be no need to book anything in advance so you could wait and see what the weather is doing and then choose your route. If you want to do the trip over 2 days and the weather is kind, I would take the quickest route and stop in Twin Falls as described by glc.

If you want to try to make it in 2 days on I-5, it's not going to happen unless you can comfortably make it to at least Willows for the overnight. That's the halfway point.

Default With children, I suggest the three day option.

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    That would be two very long days on the road ...
    And considering you are travelling with three children, it may be wise to opt for the three day option. A lot less stressful. All stops take longer the larger the party. And with children, even more time needs to be scheduled for food, bathroom, etc.

Lifey

If you HAVE 3 days to do it, that would definitely be best - 2.5 days would be quite reasonable. Depending on route, your overnights could be Boise and Provo/Nephi, Boise and Ely, or Yreka/Weed and Bakersfield.

Default Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    And considering you are travelling with three children, it may be wise to opt for the three day option.
    Lifey
    I missed that fact, as I directly answered the OP question above my response. I would 100% agree and stick to 3 days [or at least 2.5 days]. If you done it in two, you would all be exhausted and 'cranky' on arrival and needing day 3 to recover fully. Enjoy the ride !