Default NW Florida to Vegas in October

So, we are biting the bullet and driving the 2 days to Vegas for my company getaway! I am planning out our trip now and hoping to find some great deals and see awesome sites. Any suggestions?

Default 2 days?

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I'm sorry, I don't know where you got the idea that you can get from anywhere in Florida to Vegas in 2 days, but put bluntly, you can't.

From Niceville, it's nearly a 2000 mile drive, and even trying to do that in 3 full days is more than we'd recommend. Trying to do it in 2 days is dangerous. Please don't even consider such a plan.

And no - having multiple drivers will not change that at all.

If you need to get there in 2 days, flying is your only option.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 08-15-2011 at 02:24 PM.

Default Sorry, think again !!

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

There is absolutely no way of driving from Florida to Vegas in 2 days. You have 4 long days on the road to do this trip enjoyably and safely, if you have not got 4 days, I suggest you fly.

Default Not Even Close

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

It is simply not possible to drive from Florida (even assuming Pensacola) to Las Vegas in two days. That would require driving nearly 1000 miles both days. Not going to happen. You need about 3½ days minimum to make the trip in anything even approaching a safe and sane manner. And that's assuming all you do is drive, making only minimal stops for food fuel and bathroom breaks, and the necessary sleep. If you want to actually see anything, you'll need to set aside 5 days each way.

AZBuck

We're actually taking 3 days to drive. Have 2 drivers. 28 hours. No problem!

Default It's better, but.....

We are not here to preach, only to offer any advice and help we can. On that note I would just like to say that you will not get from "NW Florida" in 28 hours, No problem". With 3 days available you can drive the distance though, but don't expect to have time to visit "awesome sights".

The main problem is that a lot of people take mapping program time estimates as gospel but they do not get close over long distances in the real world. To presume you could average almost 70mph from start to finish without so much as a lunch or bathroom break or to stop and fill with gas the whole way would be a problem. On average with these breaks you will be doing well, with little traffic delays, to average 60mph.

Your trip is doable in 3, but pushing the limits of safety and comfort to do it, even with 2 drivers. Have a safe trip.

Here is a list of attractions near to Interstate where you can have a little R&R on route.

I have to agree, you can do this trip in 3 days, but its the "no problem" cavalier attitude is really the cause for concern.

There is no way you will be able to make this trip in 28 hours. You'd have to have an average speed of more than 71 miles per hour, which isn't even realistic unless you are spending much of your day traveling in excess of 100 mph. Under real world conditions, at a reasonable speed (5-10 over the limit) with just the bare minimum of stops, you'll be on the road for about 35-36 hours.

That means 3 consecutive days of being on the road for 12 hours a day. That is not fun, that is certainly not easy, and you will need to think of it like the job that it will be in order to have a safe trip. You should also not plan to do much your first day in Vegas, as anyone who has made this kind of speed run will tell you, you can expect to be completely exhausted by the time you reach your destination.

Best wishes on the challenge you have in front of you.