Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default When using computer mapping.....

.. be it RTA or any of the dozen or more on the web, is it possible to use an intersection (instead of an address) for a search? I am referring to rural intersections, not urban. Places where a rural road may intersect with a highway or interstate... especially in more remote regions. If it is, how do you do it? (And if it is not.... why not??)

Lifey

Default Intersections, parking lots, even plants work!

I've never used a full address yet. City name and state is sufficient. I do use the address for making custom places it it's known, but often I just use the satellite images and zoom into the point, (like an intersection on a rural road) I want to use. So, yes, as long as the starting and ending spot for a route is on a public road, paved or not, it can be used.

Mark

Default But how?

Thanks Mark, but how does one do that?

e.g. I was playing around looking at some shortcuts... not to save time, but to see some other scenery and explore more out of the way places. So I am on 93 in ID, and want to turn onto Spar Canyon Road, take it to East Fork Road which ends at route 75.

How do I put that into a mapping program to get a vague idea of its distance?

Lifey

Default Just about all of them will do that...

But let's solve this on RTA....

e.g. I was playing around looking at some shortcuts... not to save time, but to see some other scenery and explore more out of the way places. So I am on 93 in ID, and want to turn onto Spar Canyon Road, take it to East Fork Road which ends at route 75.
    You can either use the RTA Custom Mapping Program to create a route (shown below) or you can get a rough estimate of distance by using the "Draw Circles" program.

Draw Circles

1) Go to the Map Center Page,
    2) Click on 100 miles and then click on Draw Circles
    3) The program will prompt you to click on the map
    4) Click where you want to and see what the relative distances are from that point.

Default The first step?

Sorry Mark... but you are a few steps ahead of me.

How do I type in Spar Canyon Road or route 93 and get exactly that intersection? I do not know what to type into the little box where you would normally type an address, or town. I need to know how to word it.

Lifey

Default Here's how you do the same thing using the mapping program

1) Go to the Map Center Page
    2) Locate your starting spot (corner of US Highway 93 and Spar Canyon Road)
    (if you already know this spot on the map, zoom in and put a CP there, or like me, I didn't have a clue where that was so I did an address search for Spar Canyon Road and found the intersection that way.
    3) Create a CP and name it. (Spar Canyon & US 93)
    4) Create another CP at E. Fork road
    5) Create another one in the middle to make it follow the dirt road
    6) We could just make a route between these two spots, but let's make this more interesting
    7) Let's make the start of this route at MacKay Aiport and the finish at Clayton, ID
    8) Then click on Select Marker and click on those two custom places
    9) Click on Find Route and you get....57.8 miles

Default or you can just do it for the Spur Canyon Road

If you just want a quick way to get the Distance, use the Hand Drawn tool

1) Click on Hand Drawn Route
    2) click on the map to start drawing.
    3) click on the map where you want the line to turn (this only draws in straight lines)
    4) If you put your cursor on the little dots and the cursor turns into a finger, it will give you the cumulative distance at each spot
    5. When you reach the end of what your curious about, double click and then click on "Stop Drawing Route"
    6). Save the route if you want, in this case, it is 19.63 miles, but you know this is only a rough approximation.

Testing something else

Does this help?

Mark

Default Maybe this will help?

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post

How do I type in Spar Canyon Road or route 93 and get exactly that intersection? I do not know what to type into the little box where you would normally type an address, or town. I need to know how to word it.

Lifey
    Um, read the very next post, (#6) I explained two ways to get that location. If the explanation is not clear, let me know, and I'll try again.

Using the RTA "Find an Address" tool, here are the "addresses" I used to create the map:
    Starting: US 93, Challis, ID, 82336
    Ending: E. Fork Road, Clayon, ID 83227

Remember the tool will find an address for you if you put the cursor on road!

Mark

Default How about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    You don't need the address to use the circles. Go to the map, keep zooming in until you see the intersection you want and then click on "Draw Circles"

The program will ask you to click on the map (MAKE SURE YOU'VE ENABLED POP-UPS OR THIS WILL NOT WORK). Although the smallest increment is 100 miles, so for your Spar Canyon Road this will not help much.

So, follow the instructions in post #7 for creating a hand drawn route or post #6 for using the automatic route program -- WHICH IS THE MOST ACCURATE!